1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using Peltier Plates for heating

1. Jan 3, 2016 #1
    I know that peltier plates are for cooling(mostly :smile:) but I wish to try out heating other substances using peltier plates.
    I'm planning to use 3 peltier plates (TEC1-12712) [maximum temperature difference of 70 degrees measured at 25 degrees / Maximum temperature difference of 80 degrees measured at 50 degrees / can stand up to 83 degrees celcius] to heat liquid(around 100ml) to around 50~60 degrees(the higher the better).
    And yeah, unlimited electricity.

Could anyone suggest a liquid that has low specific heat for this project?
    And is this project technically possible?

I've never used a peltier plate to heat something before.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2016 #2
    I played around with a peltier plate a few years ago...had never seen one.....disassembled the layers,etc....from a refrigerator.....unit had one not working, the connections had come loose a common problem I found, and the other plate worked but did not seem to do much cooling....I don't remember the voltage, but I recall of a low voltage converter being used...

I believe yours a is a low voltage unit??

Id [specs] are here if you have not see them..looks like yours is 12 amps....
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoelectric_cooling#Uses

Table of specific heats is here.....not a lot of variation for the few liquids shown.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_capacity#Table_of_specific_heat_capacities

4. Jan 11, 2016 #3

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

5. Jan 12, 2016 #4
  6. Jan 17, 2016 #5
  7. Jan 21, 2016 #6

rbelli1

Gold Member

If you have unlimited electricity why not use standard heating elements. They are cheaper, more reliable and durable and can be driven at much higher powers and temperatures. The only advantages of TECs are that they are a bit more efficient and they can be used to cool as well. If neither of these are requirements I would suggest using a regular heating element.

BoB

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook