1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using radians to discover the lengths of geometric shapes (circles)

1. Mar 11, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    refer to question image

2. Relevant equations
    refer to question image again

3. The attempt at a solution
    refer to working out image

This is my brothers maths homework. He normally doesn't use online methods to request help and this is his first time.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2013 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the Physics Forums.

So whats your question? We can't just do your homework for you.

4. Mar 11, 2013 #3
    radians question

sorry about that, if forgot to state my problem.
    i was wondering how to get the inner angles of the big and small wheel.
    i've been able to get 'alpha' and 'phi' but i don't know how to get 'theta' on the big wheel.
    if you can explain how i can get that then i'll be able to get the smaller wheel angle and then find the major arc lengths of both wheels.

5. Mar 11, 2013 #4

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

so first notice the part of band between the two wheels touches tangentially to both that means the radii that touch it both have measure pi/2 and are in fact parallel to one another.

if you extend the 6 cm radius a bit to 16 cm then you have a rectangle containing a right triangle with sides X cm, 10 cm and hypotenuse 26 cm. You can then compute its angles and go from there.

I didn't 21.49 cm for X. I got a nice integer number.

6. Mar 12, 2013 #5
    Thanks I got the answer of 125cm which I checked in the back of the answers and is right. The way you explained it helped.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted