Using Squeeze Theorem To Solve An Obvious Problem

• Thread starter Lancelot59
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary: So what you're saying is that if I want to find the value of sin(x), I should use -1 and 1 as my other two functions that go to infinity and then use the squeeze theorem?That's right.
Lancelot59

Homework Statement

So we have to evaluate this using the squeeze theorem:
http://www4c.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP230197da409360513h500003f12d5h334he7b32?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=56

The Attempt at a Solution

Well it's pretty obvious that it will go to zero. Reason being that anything divided by infinity is zero...but how do you evaluate this with the squeeze theorem? There's only one equation given, and it's easily solved.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Lancelot59 said:
Well it's pretty obvious that it will go to zero. Reason being that anything divided by infinity is zero...
That is a pretty lousy (or extremely sloppy formulated) reason :tongue:
You seem to think that [tex]\lim_{x\to \infty}\frac{f(x)}{x}=0[/tex] no matter what f is. That is certainly not true (take e.g. f(x)=x, or f(x)=x^2).

The key observation here is that the sine is bounded, in particular [tex]|\sin x|\leq 1[/tex] for all [tex]x[/tex], in other words [tex]-1\leq \sin x\leq 1[/tex]. Try to use this.

Hmm, the image of the function vanished.

So you're saying I should use -1 and 1 as my other two functions that go to infinity to evaluate sine at infinity?

Since sinx only goes between 1 and -1, it will never make sinx/x go higher or lower than 1/x or -1/x, respectively. Can you understand why?

I guess. Because trig functions have a range equal to that of +-their amplitude?

The amplitude of sinx is 1. Will numbers between 0 and 1 (ignoring the negative values of sinx) multiplied with 1/x ever make 1/x be greater than it normally is?
After than, consider the negative values of sinx and -1/x.

Lancelot59 said:
Hmm, the image of the function vanished.
I don't quite understand what you mean by this.
So you're saying I should use -1 and 1 as my other two functions that go to infinity to evaluate sine at infinity?
No, you don't need to 'evaluate sine at infinity' (this not a meaningful expression).

Could you please state the squeezing theorem? Then you will immediately see what to do with the estimate of sine being between -1 and 1.

I just got it, thanks for the idea bouncing guys. It should be evaluated as "-1/x <= sin(x) <= 1/x".

Yay!

What is the Squeeze Theorem?

The Squeeze Theorem, also known as the Sandwich Theorem, is a mathematical theorem that is used to prove the limit of a function by comparing it to two other functions whose limits are known.

How is the Squeeze Theorem used to solve an obvious problem?

The Squeeze Theorem is used to solve an obvious problem by providing a way to find the limit of a function that may be difficult to calculate directly. It allows us to "squeeze" the function between two other functions whose limits are known, making it easier to determine the limit of the original function.

What are the necessary conditions for using the Squeeze Theorem?

The Squeeze Theorem can only be used if the functions being compared are continuous on the interval in question and if the limiting function lies between the two other functions.

Can the Squeeze Theorem be used to find the limit of any function?

No, the Squeeze Theorem can only be used to find the limit of a function if the necessary conditions are met. If these conditions are not met, other methods must be used to find the limit.

How does the Squeeze Theorem help in solving problems in real-world applications?

The Squeeze Theorem is a powerful tool in solving problems in real-world applications, especially in areas such as physics and engineering. It allows us to approximate the behavior of a system by using simpler, known functions, making it easier to analyze and solve problems.