UV detection by fluorescent goggles

In summary: Summary: The conversation discusses the need for a portable device to detect and find shelter against powerful UV radiation outdoors. The idea of using fluorescent materials on goggles and the effectiveness of glass and plastic in blocking UV radiation are mentioned. Suggestions for materials that can be used for different wavelengths are also discussed. Additionally, the use of UV blocking clothes and UV radiometers as alternative solutions are suggested.
Xforce
TL;DR Summary
How is it feasible to make a portable device for me to check the UV level at anytime, anywhere
I need to be able to detect and find shelter against the powerful UV radiation outdoors, since measuring devices are expensive and bulky, I decided to consider another method. Fluorescent materials are able to absorb UV light and re-emit as visible light. That gives me an idea to put fluorescent screens on to a pair of goggles. I researched that most glass and plastic are able to block over 90% of ultraviolet radiation, so there is a requirement for a material transparent to UV and able to deflect of absorb visible light, maybe black paper? Then the luminosity could be able to determine the level of UV radiation.
Solar UV mostly comes in the wavelength of 100-400 nanometers, where 315-400 are called UVA or soft UV, then 280-315 are called UVB. Do people have ideas about what types of materials can be used for these wavelengths?

Attachments

• E9E8D875-CCCC-4F16-8C82-DEB4AFF30EC1.jpeg
    E9E8D875-CCCC-4F16-8C82-DEB4AFF30EC1.jpeg
    37 KB · Views: 288
Physics news on Phys.org
Not quite sunglasses, but UV cameras are easy to find. Some of them come as attachments to your smart phone.

Xforce said:
Summary: How is it feasible to make a portable device for me to check the UV level at anytime, anywhere

I need to be able to detect and find shelter against the powerful UV radiation outdoors,
What powerful UV radiation ?

Likes berkeman
Xforce said:
Summary: How is it feasible to make a portable device for me to check the UV level at anytime, anywhere

Do people have ideas about what types of materials can be used for these wavelengths?
Some of the people that I do swim workouts with wear long-sleeve UV blocking swim shirts. They look a bit uncomfortable to me, but for folks with super-sensitive skin, I think they work well.

Here is a Google search for UV Blocking Clothes:

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=i...4.664.11...0...1..gws-wiz-img...0.KT9cB5WijzA

Xforce said:

I need to be able to detect and find shelter against the powerful UV radiation outdoors, since measuring devices are expensive and bulky, I decided to consider another method. Fluorescent materials are able to absorb UV light and re-emit as visible light. That gives me an idea to put fluorescent screens on to a pair of goggles. I researched that most glass and plastic are able to block over 90% of ultraviolet radiation, so there is a requirement for a material transparent to UV and able to deflect of absorb visible light, maybe black paper? Then the luminosity could be able to determine the level of UV radiation.
Solar UV mostly comes in the wavelength of 100-400 nanometers, where 315-400 are called UVA or soft UV, then 280-315 are called UVB. Do people have ideas about what types of materials can be used for these wavelengths?
Factor 50 if you are doing prolonged out door work outs and or the clothing suggested by @berkeman.
The UV blocker in the fabric is added to the dye bath during fabric processing (if you are interested- it's also used in the automotive industry for seat belts and upholstery protection)
UV is in sunlight from about 10-400nm some is absorbed by the atmosphere as you know.
If you are out in hot weather and intense sunlight for prolonged periods then protection is better than measurements. Damage potential is there.
There is a reason cricket players wear hats full sleeve shirts and paint their noses white during long matches.

Likes berkeman
"Summary: How is it feasible to make a portable device for me to check the UV level at anytime, anywhere

I need to be able to detect and find shelter against the powerful UV radiation outdoors, "

One uses an instrument called a UV Radiometer to detect/measure UV light. Professional radiometers are very expensive as you mention. Scientist and author Forrest M. Mims III
has made a discovery that allows a credible UV detector to be made inexpensively. Basically he experimented with UV LEDs to see if they could perhaps they could be used as narrow band UV passive detectors, and sure enough it works. Radio Shack (Tandy Corp) picked up his designs and manufactured the multi-wavelength Sun and Sky Monitoring Station, a multipurpose battery powered detector. You can Google the name of the monitor to find more info and read about Mr. Mims' exploits, measurements, and general design ideas on his webpage at:
http://www.forrestmims.org/publications.html
If you get into it and need explanations, circuit diagrams etc. look me up.

George Dowell

Xforce said:

Your goggles will no longer be transparent to visible light, which means that you can't look through it anymore. It is no longer a pair of goggles.

You could do better just covering it with a cardboard. So much easier and cheaper.

Zz.

1. How do fluorescent goggles detect UV light?

Fluorescent goggles work by using special lenses that are coated with fluorescent materials. When UV light hits these materials, they emit visible light which is then amplified by the goggles, making UV light visible to the wearer.

2. Can fluorescent goggles detect all types of UV light?

No, fluorescent goggles are designed to detect UV light in the UVA and UVB range, which are the most common types of UV light that can cause damage to our skin and eyes.

3. Do fluorescent goggles protect against UV light?

No, fluorescent goggles do not offer any protection against UV light. They are simply a tool for detecting and visualizing UV light, and should not be used as a substitute for proper UV protection.

4. How accurate are fluorescent goggles in detecting UV light?

Fluorescent goggles are highly accurate in detecting UV light, as they are specifically designed for this purpose. However, the accuracy may vary depending on the quality and type of fluorescent materials used in the lenses.

5. Can fluorescent goggles be used for other purposes besides UV detection?

Yes, fluorescent goggles can also be used for other applications such as detecting counterfeit money, identifying leaks in air conditioning systems, and detecting certain types of bacteria and chemicals.