UV mercury lamps: Changing the 185nm vs 253.7nm ratio

In summary, the conversation discusses the emission spectrum of mercury lamps and how to alter the proportion of emitted radiation to favor more 185nm radiation. Heating the discharge tube is not an effective method, as the emission lines are produced by electric discharge and increasing the temperature of the vaporized mercury will not significantly change the emission ratio. Lowering the pressure and increasing the voltage may cause more higher energy transitions, but it will also produce more of the undesired 253.7nm radiation. The use of a blackbody calculator is not relevant as the spectrum of a mercury lamp is not the result of blackbody radiation. Overall, the best solution is to filter out the low frequency light and potentially purchase more lamps.
neanderthalphysics
According to Wikipedia,
From 85% to 90% of the UV produced by these lamps is at 253.7 nm, whereas only 5–10% is at 185 nm.
(citation needed)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultraviolet

What would alter this proportion of emitted radiation to favor more 185nm radiation?

Preferably not with a filter that filters out 253.7nm (mathematically would also increase the ratio of radiance of 185nm:253.7nm) but an option that causes an increase in intensity of emitted 185nm radiation.

Would heating the discharge tube alter the ratio of emitted radiation, all other things being equal?

Physics news on Phys.org
neanderthalphysics said:
Would heating the discharge tube alter the ratio of emitted radiation, all other things being equal?
Probably not. As I understand it, the emission lines are produced by electric discharge that vaporizes and ionizes the mercury. Providing external heat won't do much as the vaporized mercury is already "hot". If your goal is to actually increase the 185 nm component at the expense of the 253.7 nm, i.e. in a zero sum situation, I believe it cannot be done without changing the quantum transition probabilities which, as far as I know, are not externally controllable.

Likes neanderthalphysics and BvU
neanderthalphysics said:

A tiny bit. Both transitions are to the same daughter state (6s 1S0), so it's a question of populating the (6p 1P1) parent state (relatively) more than the lower energy state (6s 3P1). Increasing T will do this, but T for 185 nm is about 80000 K. And you're not going to increase the heat much compared to 80000 K.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes neanderthalphysics and etotheipi
Vanadium 50 said:
A tiny bit. Both transitions are to the same daughter state (6s 1S0), so it's a question of populating the (6p 1P1) parent state more than the lower energy state (6s 3P1). Increasing T will do this, but T for 185 ns is about 80000 K. And you're not going to increase the heat much compared to 80000 K.

I have a question, what does the aSb and aPb notation mean?

Vanadium 50 said:
A tiny bit. Both transitions are to the same daughter state (6s 1S0), so it's a question of populating the (6p 1P1) parent state (relatively) more than the lower energy state (6s 3P1). Increasing T will do this, but T for 185 nm is about 80000 K. And you're not going to increase the heat much compared to 80000 K.
Doesn't this assume that the mercury atoms are in thermal equilibrium with a reservoir at some temperature T? I was under the impression that the electric discharge creates a non-thermal equilibrium situation where ionized atoms in various excited states continuously recombine with electrons, are re-ionized and so on. Why would ##\frac{N_i}{N}=e^{\text{-}\frac{E_i}{kT}}## be meaningful in this case?

Thanks for the input, everyone.

According to the blackbody calculator linked at the end of this post, the blackbody radiation peak for 185nm is found at 15650K. Therefore, in theory, would the maximum 185nm:253.7nm emission ratio, all other things being equal, be found at 15650K? How did you calculate the 80000K figure, Vanadium?

Kuruman, I think it changes the ratio a bit because heating shifts the black body peak.

What about if you lower the pressure in the discharge tube and increase the AC voltage? Will this cause more higher energy transitions to occur?

What about if you drove the discharge tube like a flash tube but with high voltage pulses? What would the spectral distribution look like in a high voltage flash, compared to a lower voltage AC mode of operation?

https://www.spectralcalc.com/blackbody_calculator/blackbody.php

The spectrum of a mercury lamp is not the result of blackbody radiation but of atomic transitions as @Vanadium 50 indicated. If you try to convert a mercury lamp into a blackbody radiator at 15,650 K, you will melt vaporize it long before it reaches the desired temperature. I don't see the relevance of a blackbody radiator which gives you a continuous spectrum at any temperature. Shifting the peak closer to 185 nm will give you more of the 185 nm that you want but will also give you much more of the 253.7 nm that you don't want.

What are you trying to do anyway? What is your ultimate goal?

kuruman said:
Doesn't this assume

It would if it were an actual calculation. It just shows that the order of magnitude is such that changes on the scale of tens of kelvins - or even many tens of kelvins - are tiny compared to the scale of the problem.

It's like someone planning on jumping over a skyscraper. We can discuss the properties of various kinds of shoes, but they really don't make a difference.

neanderthalphysics said:
How did you calculate the 80000K figure, Vanadium?

6.7 eV / (300K = 1/40 eV).

By far the easiest thing to do is filter the low frequency light and if it's not bright enough, buy more bulbs.

Likes vanhees71
@kuruman, yes you're right about the standard mode of operation of a UV mercury lamp, but because I was asking about modifications you could do to the lamp to make it emit more 185nm UV, I included heating and therefore blackbody radiation.

Ultimately the spectra you get from the UV lamp is a superposition of the atomic transitions + blackbody radiation, but as we have seen, the blackbody radiation effect is small at "reasonable" temperatures.

Just asking questions re: heating of the lamps or using high voltage pulses through the mercury discharge tubes to expand my understanding.

1. What is the difference between 185nm and 253.7nm in UV mercury lamps?

The numbers 185nm and 253.7nm refer to the wavelengths of ultraviolet (UV) light emitted by mercury lamps. The first number, 185nm, is in the UVC range and is primarily used for germicidal purposes. The second number, 253.7nm, is in the UVB range and is commonly used for curing and printing applications.

2. Can the ratio of 185nm and 253.7nm be changed in UV mercury lamps?

Yes, the ratio of 185nm and 253.7nm can be changed in UV mercury lamps by adjusting the amount of mercury vapor present in the lamp. This can be done by altering the pressure and temperature within the lamp.

3. What is the purpose of changing the 185nm vs 253.7nm ratio in UV mercury lamps?

The purpose of changing the 185nm vs 253.7nm ratio in UV mercury lamps is to optimize the lamp for specific applications. For example, a higher ratio of 185nm may be desired for germicidal purposes, while a higher ratio of 253.7nm may be preferred for curing or printing applications.

4. How does the ratio of 185nm and 253.7nm affect the performance of UV mercury lamps?

The ratio of 185nm and 253.7nm can greatly affect the performance of UV mercury lamps. A higher ratio of 185nm can increase the lamp's ability to kill bacteria and viruses, while a higher ratio of 253.7nm can improve the lamp's curing or printing capabilities.

5. Are there any safety considerations when changing the 185nm vs 253.7nm ratio in UV mercury lamps?

Yes, there are safety considerations when changing the 185nm vs 253.7nm ratio in UV mercury lamps. Both UVC and UVB light can be harmful to humans and precautions should be taken when handling these lamps. It is important to follow proper safety protocols and wear protective gear when adjusting the ratio of UV light emitted by the lamp.