V=wr. Is v tangential or center of mass?

In summary, when a sphere rolls without slipping, the speed at the tip of the rotating object is equal to the translational speed of the centre of mass. This can be explained by considering the fact that for each rotation of the sphere, the bottom-most point has traveled a distance equal to the circumference of the sphere, resulting in the same speed for both the tip and the centre of mass.
cjavier
So...I have two different homework problems. I'm not asking for answers to these problems! Just clarification. In problem one I am asked: A thin disk with diameter d rotates about an axis through its center with 0.260J of kinetic energy.What is the speed of a point on the rim? I use E = 1/2Iω2 for kinetic rolling energy.
THEN I am told by chegg.com, which provided the correct answer, to use v=ωr to find the tangential speed, or the speed of a point at the edge of the disk. Keep in mind, this disk is not moving transitionally, only spinning.

In problem two: I am given a problem that needs me to find the energy of a rolling sphere when it reaches the bottom of the hill. When I use Ef = KErolling + KEtransitional I receive this equation:

Ef = 1/2Iω2 + 1/2mvCM2.

THIS IS THE CONFUSING PART, CHEGG TELLS ME TO REPLACE vcenter/mass with ωr.

Why am I able to do this? From my first homework problem, I established that v is equal to the speed at the tip of the rotating object. By replacing v with ωr for my kinetic energy, I am now saying that the transitional energy is dependent on the speed at the tip of the sphere!

Dazed and Confused

Physics news on Phys.org
cjavier said:
So...I have two different homework problems. I'm not asking for answers to these problems! Just clarification. In problem one I am asked: A thin disk with diameter d rotates about an axis through its center with 0.260J of kinetic energy.What is the speed of a point on the rim? I use E = 1/2Iω2 for kinetic rolling energy.
THEN I am told by chegg.com, which provided the correct answer, to use v=ωr to find the tangential speed, or the speed of a point at the edge of the disk. Keep in mind, this disk is not moving transitionally, only spinning.

In problem two: I am given a problem that needs me to find the energy of a rolling sphere when it reaches the bottom of the hill. When I use Ef = KErolling + KEtransitional I receive this equation:

Ef = 1/2Iω2 + 1/2mvCM2.

THIS IS THE CONFUSING PART, CHEGG TELLS ME TO REPLACE vcenter/mass with ωr.

Why am I able to do this? From my first homework problem, I established that v is equal to the speed at the tip of the rotating object. By replacing v with ωr for my kinetic energy, I am now saying that the transitional energy is dependent on the speed at the tip of the sphere!Dazed and Confused

Don't double or multiple post. I've moved my reply to your thread in General Physics here. Hopefully a Mentor will delete that thread.

You're wondering why v = rω represents both the speed at the tip of the rotating object and the translational (that's the right term, note the spelling) speed of the centre of mass.

This is only true for an object that rolls without slipping. When this condition is met, exactly one point of the sphere (the bottom-most) is in instantaneous contact with the surface at anyone point in time.

Now consider what happens when a sphere undergoing rotational motion at a constant rate (constant angular velocity) has rolled forward a length equal to exactly one circumference. Answer the following questions:

1) How much time does this take? Hint: think in terms of ω. How many radians would the sphere have turned through?

2) What distance has the sphere traveled forward in this time? This is the same distance the centre of mass has moved (translationally). This should be obvious when you consider the sphere is a rigid body that's not undergoing any deformation (change in shape), so every point in it has to be moving translationally forward at the same speed.

3) Hence, what's ##v_{CM}##?

1. Is V tangential or center of mass?

The symbol V in the equation V=wr represents the linear velocity of an object. It is tangential to the circular path of the object at any given point. The center of mass, on the other hand, is the point at which the entire mass of the object can be considered to be concentrated. It is located at the center of the object.

2. How is V related to angular velocity (w)?

The relationship between linear velocity (V) and angular velocity (w) is given by the equation V=w*r, where r is the distance from the center of rotation to the point at which the velocity is being measured. This means that the linear velocity is directly proportional to the angular velocity and the distance from the center of rotation.

3. What are the units of V and w in the equation V=wr?

The units of linear velocity (V) are typically meters per second (m/s) while the units of angular velocity (w) are typically radians per second (rad/s). This may vary depending on the system of measurement being used.

4. Can V=wr be applied to any rotating object?

Yes, the equation V=wr can be applied to any rotating object as long as the object is moving in a circular path. This includes objects such as wheels, planets, and even subatomic particles.

5. How is V=wr derived?

The equation V=wr is derived from the definition of angular velocity, which is the rate at which an object rotates about a fixed axis. By taking the derivative of the position function in terms of time, we can find an expression for angular velocity. This is then combined with the definition of linear velocity to give the equation V=wr.