How can vacuum heating be calculated for substrates in a chamber?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of heating time for polycor substrates in a vacuum chamber using a simple mathematical model. The goal is to determine the time when conductive heating equals radiative heat losses. However, the results obtained from the calculation are not physically realistic, and there may be issues with units. The conversation also mentions conducting a heat transfer calculation in ANSYS to consider all radiation heating and conductive losses.
ektov_konstantin
TL;DR Summary
I have a physically correct approach but I get incorrect result and need some help!
Hello, everyone!

I am calculating the time of substrates' heating in the vacuum chamber.

It is a simple mathematical model to calculate roughly how much time does it take to heat polycor substrates in the vacuum chamber.

At least all the tube heater`s power heats the substrates (this is because the geometry of the vacuum chamber and beacuse all inner surface is polished).

So our goal is to get the time when conductive heating will be equal to the radiative heat losses.

Look at the scheme.

694950_.thumb.png.4125f3a65b7a94880d218a66a886a3fd.png

So the differential equation is .
-02-19_162619.png.6f1a8e6dff1c3ea66caa13291c276f73.png

And dividing the variables we get
-02-19_162747.png.1ba22e7d00d1a497662ae4e7e408f27e.png
, where T_0 is the Temperature when conductive heating equals radiative losses.

If P=800 W, I have this dependence...

-02-19_163141.png.d347234f0e7df4c129bd06fc0977629d.png

and as you can see, it is not physically right beacuse of two reasons. First - why there is a horisontal asymptote (it must be vertical!) ? Second - the heating is very-very fast...

For instance, I have calculated the heating time if there are no radiative losses.

t = c*m*(T_0-293)/W

and for W=800 W, T_0=623 K (technological process` temperature) we get t=0,205 seconds - and it is rubbish too I think...

Additionaly I add the constants and variables that I have used in my MathCAD app.

-02-19_163954.png.5a5645c7f51187b4459b58605d36139c.png

image.png.4e673247a23dc0f16845ab85b266186d.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
  1. Is ALL of the thermal energy of the heater focused on the work piece?
    • How?
  2. What about conductive losses from the heater thru its mounting?
  3. Is the work piece suspended and not in contact with a support that gives a path for conductive losses?
    • How?

The graph shows a temperature of 1×105K (100 000 Kelvin); is that realistic? (Have you obtained a Star for a heat source?)

Graphs generally have the independent variable (Time) on the X-axis, and the dependent variable (Temperature) on the Y-axis; that makes them easier for most of us to interpret.

Anxiously awaiting clarifications of the above!
Tom

Likes Lnewqban
Tom.G said:
  1. Is ALL of the thermal energy of the heater focused on the work piece?
    • How?
  2. What about conductive losses from the heater thru its mounting?
  3. Is the work piece suspended and not in contact with a support that gives a path for conductive losses?
    • How?

The graph shows a temperature of 1×105K (100 000 Kelvin); is that realistic? (Have you obtained a Star for a heat source?)

Graphs generally have the independent variable (Time) on the X-axis, and the dependent variable (Temperature) on the Y-axis; that makes them easier for most of us to interpret.

Anxiously awaiting clarifications of the above!
Tom
Hello, Tom!

Thank you for your reply.

Imagine, that this is abstract mathematical model.
I extremely agree with you that...
1. There are conductive losses in the heater mounting and to the polycor substrates basement (this is round plate)
2. Not all the power from the heater heats the substrates but if I have to make this assumption to ease my calculation. It is affordable because all inner surface of the chamber is polished.

Later I will make the heat transfer calculation in ANSYS application. It will consider all radiation heating and conductive losses.

BUT my mathematical calculation gives unphysical and illogical results.

Just imagine that this is an abstract body... And losses are radiative. Temperature must come to stationary value. But it doesn't. What I get is that time (!) becomes static. Time stops. The question is why?!

My differential equation is solved correct - I have rechecked it.

Lnewqban said:
Your equation seems to be correct.
The calculations may have unit's problems if the result is not logical.
Your diagram should look something like this:

View attachment 297387
Yes. That`s right. Thank you for your answer. But I`ve checked units. They are all in SI... May I show you my MathCAD file?

ektov_konstantin said:
Yes. That`s right. Thank you for your answer. But I`ve checked units. They are all in SI... May I show you my MathCAD file?
You are welcome.
Please, do.

What is vacuum heating calculation?

Vacuum heating calculation is a process used to determine the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of a material or system in a vacuum environment.

Why is vacuum heating calculation important?

Vacuum heating calculation is important because it allows scientists and engineers to accurately determine the amount of heat needed to achieve a desired temperature in a vacuum environment. This information is crucial for designing and operating various vacuum systems, such as in space exploration or semiconductor manufacturing.

What factors are considered in vacuum heating calculation?

The main factors considered in vacuum heating calculation include the mass of the material, its specific heat capacity, the desired temperature change, and the vacuum pressure. Other factors such as thermal conductivity and radiation may also be taken into account depending on the specific application.

How is vacuum heating calculation performed?

Vacuum heating calculation can be performed using various mathematical formulas and equations, such as the heat transfer equation and the ideal gas law. These calculations can be done manually or with the help of computer software.

What are some common challenges in vacuum heating calculation?

Some common challenges in vacuum heating calculation include accurately measuring and accounting for all variables, such as thermal conductivity and radiation, and accounting for any changes in vacuum pressure during the heating process. Additionally, the properties of materials may change at high temperatures, making it difficult to accurately predict the amount of heat needed.