Vacuum Solutions: Are They Always Divergence Free?

• Thread starter quasar_4
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vacuum
In summary, the conversation discusses the validity of vacuum solutions to the Einstein field equations and how one would test this assumption. It is mentioned that the stress-energy tensor for the vacuum case is always the zero tensor and that the Einstein equation is also divergence free. The need for specific initial/boundary conditions and symmetries in order to solve for a specific matter configuration is also mentioned.
quasar_4
Are vacuum solutions to the Einstein field equations always divergence free? How would one test this assumption?

Physics news on Phys.org
actually, let me rephrase this question (it doesn't make much sense). If I understand correctly, the stress-energy tensor for the vacuum case is always the zero tensor. Since the Einstein equation is also divergence free, how does one verify the validity of vacuum solutions? It seems that for dust solutions, there's the option to test whether the divergence of the stress-energy tensor is zero. I am wondering if there's anything analogous in the vacuum case.

I've wondered the same thing. If the Einstein tensor is identically divergenceless then every space-time that allows the tensor to be calculated is a candidate for a valid solution. If the result is not zero, then what's to stop me from calling it the SET and claiming I have a solution ?

There must be other conditions to be satisfied, as you suggest. This surely is covered in standard texts but I don't remember seeing it.

What Mentz114 said is true. It's not hard to find solutions to Einstein's equations. But then you have some random stress energy tensor. What's much harder is to solve it for a specific matter configuration, with specific initial/boundary conditions and specific symmetries.

Similarly, I can write down almost any [tex]A_\mu[/tex] and claim that I have a solution to Maxwell's equations. I would then have to infer where the sources are.

quasar_4 said:
actually, let me rephrase this question (it doesn't make much sense). If I understand correctly, the stress-energy tensor for the vacuum case is always the zero tensor. Since the Einstein equation is also divergence free, how does one verify the validity of vacuum solutions? It seems that for dust solutions, there's the option to test whether the divergence of the stress-energy tensor is zero. I am wondering if there's anything analogous in the vacuum case.

You simply have to check if Einstein's tensor is zero, no?:confused:

it sounds right to me (what on Earth else could there be?). But I was afraid it was too good to be true... lol...

I suppose once you begin talking about initial and boundary conditions then things get much harder much faster. And I know some vacuum solutions only work with specific side conditions as well.

1. What is a vacuum solution?

A vacuum solution is a mathematical solution to a system of equations that describes a vacuum, or empty space, in physics. It is used to understand the behavior of matter and fields in the absence of any external forces.

2. What does it mean for a vacuum solution to be divergence free?

A vacuum solution is considered divergence free if the divergence of the solution is equal to zero. In other words, there is no net flow of matter or energy in or out of a given point in space. This is an important concept in physics, as it helps to understand the overall behavior of a system.

3. Why is it important for vacuum solutions to be divergence free?

Vacuum solutions being divergence free is important because it ensures that the laws of conservation of mass and energy hold true in a given system. If a vacuum solution is not divergence free, it could lead to violations of these fundamental laws.

4. Are all vacuum solutions divergence free?

No, not all vacuum solutions are divergence free. Some solutions may have non-zero divergences, which can arise due to the presence of external forces or sources. However, in many physical scenarios, it is desirable for vacuum solutions to be divergence free in order to accurately describe the behavior of a system.

5. How are vacuum solutions used in scientific research?

Vacuum solutions are used in a variety of scientific research, including in the fields of astrophysics, cosmology, and general relativity. They are used to model and predict the behavior of matter and fields in the absence of external forces, which helps to understand the overall dynamics of the universe and its evolution.