Validating a Delta Sequence

In summary: This is not what you are looking for. The following says that n goes to infinity, but only if x goes to infinity. This is not the case as x can never be negative.
Undoubtedly0
Homework Statement
Show that [tex] \delta_n(x) = ne^{-nx} \quad \mathrm{for}\quad x>0[/tex][tex] \qquad = 0 \quad \mathrm{for}\quad x<0[/tex]

satisfies [tex]\lim_{n\longrightarrow\infty}\int_{-\infty}^\infty \delta_n(x)f(x)\mathrm{d}x = f(0)[/tex]

The attempt at a solution
The hint says to replace the upper limit ([itex]\infty[/itex]) with [itex]c/n[/itex], where [itex]c[/itex] is "large but finite", and then use the mean value theorem of integral calculus.

I do not understand how this replacement in the hint is allowable. Since [itex]n\longrightarrow\infty[/itex], [itex]c/n\longrightarrow0[/itex], not [itex]\infty[/itex]. Even if this is okay, how does it aid using the mean value theorem of integral calculus?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are there any restrictions on f(x)?

voko said:
Are there any restrictions on f(x)?

It is only stated that [itex]f(x)[/itex] is a well-behaved function. It seems that this would be easier to prove if [itex]\lim_{x\longrightarrow\pm\infty}f(x)[/itex] was at least finite, but no such assumption is made.

Then assume the integral of f(x) over the entire real line is finite. Given that, you should be estimate the "left-over" as you restrict integration to c/n.

voko said:
Then assume the integral of f(x) over the entire real line is finite.

Why can this be assumed? Not even a function as well-behaved as [itex]f(x)=x^2[/itex] satisfies this.

## e^{x^{100}} ## is also well behaved, but will it be acceptable in this case?

voko said:
## e^{x^{100}} ## is also well behaved, but will it be acceptable in this case?

Sure, if [itex]f(x) = e^{x^{100}}[/itex], then I do not know how I would answer the problem. Any suggestions?

As I said, you should select a class of functions that are admissible. Those whose integral over the entire real line is finite obviously fit the bill. Those the product of which with exp(-x) has the same property would work, too.

Evidently, however, the proof can be made for any well-behaved function [itex]f(x)[/itex]. I understand how to prove this for special cases, but I am confused on how to prove this in general.

## \delta_1 = e^{-x} ## so you must have at least ## \int_0^{\infty} f(x)e^{-x} dx < \infty## for any "well-behaved" function.

voko said:
## \delta_1 = e^{-x} ## so you must have at least ## \int_0^{\infty} f(x)e^{-x} dx < \infty## for any "well-behaved" function.

If there exists a Taylor series expansion of f(x) of the form [tex]f(x)=\sum_{k=0}^\infty f^{(k)}(0)\frac{x^k}{k!}[/tex]

does that imply that ## \int_0^{\infty} f(x)e^{-x} dx < \infty##?

Thanks for your help.

Undoubtedly0 said:
Homework Statement
Show that [tex] \delta_n(x) = ne^{-nx} \quad \mathrm{for}\quad x>0[/tex][tex] \qquad = 0 \quad \mathrm{for}\quad x<0[/tex]

satisfies [tex]\lim_{n\longrightarrow\infty}\int_{-\infty}^\infty \delta_n(x)f(x)\mathrm{d}x = f(0)[/tex]

The attempt at a solution
The hint says to replace the upper limit ([itex]\infty[/itex]) with [itex]c/n[/itex], where [itex]c[/itex] is "large but finite", and then use the mean value theorem of integral calculus.

I do not understand how this replacement in the hint is allowable. Since [itex]n\longrightarrow\infty[/itex], [itex]c/n\longrightarrow0[/itex], not [itex]\infty[/itex]. Even if this is okay, how does it aid using the mean value theorem of integral calculus?
You are asked to show this for n a fixed constant. There is nothing said about "n going to infinity" and no reason to worry about that.

HallsofIvy said:
You are asked to show this for n a fixed constant. There is nothing said about "n going to infinity" and no reason to worry about that.

Hi HallsofIvy. I confess I do not understand what you mean. Certainly the following says that n goes to infinity, no?

[tex]\lim_{n\longrightarrow\infty}\int_{-\infty}^\infty \delta_n(x)f(x)\mathrm{d}x[/tex]

1. What is a Delta Sequence?

A Delta Sequence is a type of mathematical sequence where each term is the difference between consecutive terms. For example, the sequence 1, 3, 6, 10, 15 is a Delta Sequence because the difference between each term is 2, 3, 4, 5 respectively.

2. Why is it important to validate a Delta Sequence?

Validating a Delta Sequence is important because it ensures that the sequence is accurate and follows the defined pattern. It also helps to detect any errors or inconsistencies in the sequence which may affect the results or conclusions drawn from it.

3. How can a Delta Sequence be validated?

A Delta Sequence can be validated by checking if the difference between consecutive terms remains constant throughout the sequence. This can be done manually or using mathematical techniques such as finding the common difference or using the nth term formula.

4. What are some common applications of Delta Sequences?

Delta Sequences are often used in financial analysis, such as calculating stock prices or interest rates. They are also used in physics to represent changes in position, velocity, or acceleration over time. Additionally, they can be used in coding and data compression algorithms.

5. Can a Delta Sequence have a variable difference between terms?

Yes, a Delta Sequence can have a variable difference between terms. This is known as a variable Delta Sequence and can occur in real-life situations where the change between consecutive terms is not constant. However, it is important to validate and understand the pattern of the sequence in order to accurately analyze and interpret the data.