1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Validating a Delta Sequence

1. Oct 6, 2012 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that [tex] \delta_n(x) = ne^{-nx} \quad \mathrm{for}\quad x>0[/tex][tex] \qquad = 0 \quad \mathrm{for}\quad x<0[/tex]

satisfies [tex]\lim_{n\longrightarrow\infty}\int_{-\infty}^\infty \delta_n(x)f(x)\mathrm{d}x = f(0)[/tex]

The attempt at a solution
    The hint says to replace the upper limit ([itex]\infty[/itex]) with [itex]c/n[/itex], where [itex]c[/itex] is "large but finite", and then use the mean value theorem of integral calculus.

I do not understand how this replacement in the hint is allowable. Since [itex]n\longrightarrow\infty[/itex], [itex]c/n\longrightarrow0[/itex], not [itex]\infty[/itex]. Even if this is okay, how does it aid using the mean value theorem of integral calculus?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2012 #2
    Are there any restrictions on f(x)?

4. Oct 7, 2012 #3
    It is only stated that [itex]f(x)[/itex] is a well-behaved function. It seems that this would be easier to prove if [itex]\lim_{x\longrightarrow\pm\infty}f(x)[/itex] was at least finite, but no such assumption is made.

5. Oct 7, 2012 #4
    Then assume the integral of f(x) over the entire real line is finite. Given that, you should be estimate the "left-over" as you restrict integration to c/n.

6. Oct 7, 2012 #5
    Why can this be assumed? Not even a function as well-behaved as [itex]f(x)=x^2[/itex] satisfies this.

7. Oct 7, 2012 #6
    ## e^{x^{100}} ## is also well behaved, but will it be acceptable in this case?

8. Oct 7, 2012 #7
    Sure, if [itex]f(x) = e^{x^{100}}[/itex], then I do not know how I would answer the problem. Any suggestions?

9. Oct 7, 2012 #8
    As I said, you should select a class of functions that are admissible. Those whose integral over the entire real line is finite obviously fit the bill. Those the product of which with exp(-x) has the same property would work, too.

10. Oct 8, 2012 #9
    Evidently, however, the proof can be made for any well-behaved function [itex]f(x)[/itex]. I understand how to prove this for special cases, but I am confused on how to prove this in general.

11. Oct 8, 2012 #10
    ## \delta_1 = e^{-x} ## so you must have at least ## \int_0^{\infty} f(x)e^{-x} dx < \infty## for any "well-behaved" function.

12. Oct 20, 2012 #11
    If there exists a Taylor series expansion of f(x) of the form [tex]f(x)=\sum_{k=0}^\infty f^{(k)}(0)\frac{x^k}{k!}[/tex]

does that imply that ## \int_0^{\infty} f(x)e^{-x} dx < \infty##?

Thanks for your help.

13. Oct 20, 2012 #12

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You are asked to show this for n a fixed constant. There is nothing said about "n going to infinity" and no reason to worry about that.

14. Oct 20, 2012 #13
    Hi HallsofIvy. I confess I do not understand what you mean. Certainly the following says that n goes to infinity, no?

[tex]\lim_{n\longrightarrow\infty}\int_{-\infty}^\infty \delta_n(x)f(x)\mathrm{d}x[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook