Validating Statement Using Truth Tables: Failed Basket-Weaving 101

• MHB
  • Thread starter trevor
  • Start date
In summary: Then you can represent the statements as $S \to \neg F$ and $\neg C \to S$ where $C$ represents "I play cards too often". Using these propositions, the truth table shows that the statement is valid, since there is no row where all premises are true and the conclusion is false. Therefore, the statement can be summarized as "In summary, the statement is valid as shown by the truth table."
trevor
If I study, then I will not fail basket-weaving 101. If I do not play cards to often, then
I will study. I failed basket-weaving 101. Therefore, I played cards too often. Is this
statement valid (use truth tables to verify).

Physics news on Phys.org
trevor said:
If I study, then I will not fail basket-weaving 101. If I do not play cards to often, then
I will study. I failed basket-weaving 101. Therefore, I played cards too often. Is this
statement valid (use truth tables to verify).

Have you constructed a truth table? Care to share? :). If not, I recommend breaking down all the words into a string of implications. For example, let A be the statement "I study", B be the statement "I failed basket-weaving" etc and use these to help with the truth table.

Joppy said:
Have you constructed a truth table? Care to share? :). If not, I recommend breaking down all the words into a string of implications. For example, let A be the statement "I study", B be the statement "I failed basket-weaving" etc and use these to help with the truth table.

Thank you. I will send what I find

I would also recommend using mnemonic names for propositions, such as $S$ for "I studied" and $F$ for "I failed basket-weaving".

Related to Validating Statement Using Truth Tables: Failed Basket-Weaving 101

1. What is a truth table?

A truth table is a table used in logic to determine the truth or falsity of a statement based on different combinations of input values. It is a visual tool that helps in understanding the logical relationships between different propositions.

2. How do you validate a statement using a truth table?

To validate a statement using a truth table, you must first list out all the possible combinations of truth values for the variables in the statement. Then, using logical operators such as "and," "or," and "not," you can determine the truth value of the entire statement for each combination of input values. If the statement is true for all combinations, it is considered valid.

3. What does it mean if a statement fails in a truth table?

A statement fails in a truth table when there is at least one combination of input values that results in a false statement. This means that the statement is not always true and is therefore considered invalid.

4. Can a valid statement ever fail in a truth table?

No, a valid statement will always result in a true statement for all possible combinations of input values in a truth table. If a statement fails in a truth table, it is not considered valid.

5. How can truth tables be helpful in understanding logic?

Truth tables provide a visual representation of the logical relationships between different propositions and can help in determining the validity or invalidity of a statement. They also allow for the identification of logical fallacies and contradictions within a statement, aiding in the understanding of logical arguments and reasoning.