1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Value on ammeter display

1. Oct 12, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What will the pointer of electrodynamic ammeter show (its natural frequency of oscillation is 5 Hz), if its input is energized by current:
    a) i (t) = 1.5 + 4 sin (3146 t)
    b) i (t) = 1.5 + 4 sin (2 t)
    Ammeter has a range of 6 A and the scale has 100 divisions.

2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution

My solution is 25 but I don't understand the difference between a) (where the frequency is 500 Hz) and b) (0.318 Hz).

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2016 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Hi sol59. smiley_sign_welcome.gif

Describe what you understand by an electrodynamic ammeter.

What do you understand is meant by a natural frequency of oscillation of 5 Hz in the context of this problem.

Until you show you have done some work by yourself, we are not able to help you further.

4. Oct 15, 2016 #3
    Hi, thanks for the reply:) It's ammeter with electrodynamic measuring mechanism (with one movable coil and one fixed coil). The natural frequency is the frequency at which the measuring mechanism tends to oscillate before the current is led into its input. I calculated the deflection as: (1.5*100)/6 = 25 If somebody could give me advice how to solve this problem I would be very glad.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted