Reading an Electrodynamic Ammeter with 6 A Range and 100 Divisions

In summary, the electrodynamic ammeter with a natural frequency of 5 Hz and a range of 6 A will show a deflection of 25 divisions when energized by a current of i(t) = 1.5 + 4 sin (3146 t). However, there is a difference between this and a current of i(t) = 1.5 + 4 sin (2 t) due to the difference in frequency. To solve this problem, it is important to understand the concept of natural frequency and how it affects the oscillation of the measuring mechanism.
sol59

Homework Statement

What will the pointer of electrodynamic ammeter show (its natural frequency of oscillation is 5 Hz), if its input is energized by current:
a) i (t) = 1.5 + 4 sin (3146 t)
b) i (t) = 1.5 + 4 sin (2 t)
Ammeter has a range of 6 A and the scale has 100 divisions.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
My solution is 25 but I don't understand the difference between a) (where the frequency is 500 Hz) and b) (0.318 Hz).

Physics news on Phys.org
sol59 said:

Homework Statement

What will the pointer of electrodynamic ammeter show (its natural frequency of oscillation is 5 Hz), if its input is energized by current:
a) i (t) = 1.5 + 4 sin (3146 t)
b) i (t) = 1.5 + 4 sin (2 t)
Ammeter has a range of 6 A and the scale has 100 divisions.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
My solution is 25 but I don't understand the difference between a) (where the frequency is 500 Hz) and b) (0.318 Hz).
Hi sol59.
smiley_sign_welcome.gif

Describe what you understand by an electrodynamic ammeter.

What do you understand is meant by a natural frequency of oscillation of 5 Hz in the context of this problem.

Until you show you have done some work by yourself, we are not able to help you further.

NascentOxygen said:
Hi sol59.
smiley_sign_welcome.gif

Describe what you understand by an electrodynamic ammeter.

What do you understand is meant by a natural frequency of oscillation of 5 Hz in the context of this problem.

Until you show you have done some work by yourself, we are not able to help you further.

Hi, thanks for the reply:) It's ammeter with electrodynamic measuring mechanism (with one movable coil and one fixed coil). The natural frequency is the frequency at which the measuring mechanism tends to oscillate before the current is led into its input. I calculated the deflection as: (1.5*100)/6 = 25 If somebody could give me advice how to solve this problem I would be very glad.

1. What is the purpose of an ammeter?

An ammeter is a device used to measure the electric current flowing through a circuit. It is typically used to monitor the amount of current being drawn by electrical devices and to ensure that the circuit is functioning properly.

2. How is the value displayed on an ammeter?

The value on an ammeter is displayed in units of amperes (A) or milliamperes (mA). It is typically shown on a digital or analog display, and the user can switch between different scales to measure different levels of current.

3. What does the value on an ammeter represent?

The value on an ammeter represents the amount of electric current flowing through the circuit at a specific point in time. It is a measure of the rate of flow of electric charge and is expressed in amperes (A).

4. How do you interpret the value displayed on an ammeter?

The value displayed on an ammeter should be read from left to right, like a standard number. It is important to note the units being used, as well as the scale being measured, to accurately interpret the reading. It is also important to compare the value to the expected range for the specific circuit or device being measured.

5. What factors can affect the value displayed on an ammeter?

The value displayed on an ammeter can be affected by various factors, such as the resistance of the circuit, the voltage being supplied, and the number and type of devices connected to the circuit. Additionally, any faulty connections, damaged wires, or incorrect placement of the ammeter can also affect the reading.