Vapor Pressure Measurement Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the measurement of vapor pressure and steam condensation in a vacuum. The speaker explains their scenario of measuring steam condensation in an air-cooled heat exchanger and how the pressure and temperature of the steam reach equilibrium with the surrounding air flow. They also ask questions about the vapor-water interface and the increase in pressure when admitting more steam. The expert summarizer clarifies that there is no vacuum present and explains the relationship between pressure and condensation.
sanka
Hi all,

Just have a quick question regarding the measurement of vapor pressure.

Firstly, let me explain my scenario. I am carrying-out some measurements of steam condensation in a vacuum. The steam is being condensed in a air-cooled heat exchanger.
Initially, I let in a quantity of steam (at atmospheric pressure) into my heat exchager. I then close off the inlet & exit valves to trap a quantity of steam in the heat exchanger (creating a closed system) and commence the air flow. Thus there is a fixed mass of steam in my heat exchanger. The energy from this steam is transferred to the surrounding air flow and eventually, the temperature of the steam (vapor) decreases until it reaches the ambient air temperature. With no air leaks occurring, the pressure I measure also reduces to the saturation pressure for that given ambient temperature.

Firstly, am I right in assuming that at this point I have a vapor-water interface in my heat exchanger, which is in equliibrium (rate of evaporation=rate of condensation) at the given ambient temperature? Once the system has reached steady-state of course?

Secondly, if I recommence the steam flow into the system, I see that the pressure I am measuring increases...why is this? Should the steam entering the system not be under a vacuum and have a temperature and pressure determined by the ambient air temp?

Thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
By definition, if your heat exchanger has a liquid-vapor mixture inside before you admit more steam, there is no vacuum present. The pressure may be small, relative to atmospheric, but it is not a vacuum. Admitting more steam can only raise the pressure until further condensation occurs.

Obviously there is no vacuum, to achieve a vacuum is impossible. What I meant is that the system is operating in sub-atmospheric conditions, which some people refer to as vacuum conditions.

1. What is vapor pressure and why is it important?

Vapor pressure is a measure of the pressure exerted by a gas in equilibrium with its liquid or solid state. It is important because it helps us understand the volatility of a substance, which is essential for various industrial and scientific applications, such as determining boiling points and predicting evaporation rates.

2. How is vapor pressure measured?

Vapor pressure can be measured using a variety of techniques, including the static method, dynamic method, and isothermal method. These methods involve creating a closed system with a known volume and temperature, and then measuring the pressure of the vapor that forms in the system.

3. What factors affect vapor pressure?

The vapor pressure of a substance is affected by temperature, intermolecular forces, and the nature of the substance itself. As temperature increases, vapor pressure also increases. Stronger intermolecular forces result in lower vapor pressure, while weaker forces result in higher vapor pressure.

4. What are some common applications of vapor pressure measurement?

Vapor pressure measurement has many applications in various industries, such as in the production of pharmaceuticals, food and beverages, and fuels. It is also used in weather forecasting and climate studies to understand the behavior of water vapor in the atmosphere.

5. What are some potential sources of error in vapor pressure measurement?

Potential sources of error in vapor pressure measurement include variations in temperature and pressure, impurities in the substance being measured, and human error in the measurement process. It is important to carefully control these factors to ensure accurate and reliable measurements.