VCR tapes and put them onto my computer

• Thread starter ssbm_pro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, the conversation is about how to transfer VCR tapes onto a computer, specifically a Macintosh with Tiger 10.4.9. The suggested solution is to use a video input to the video card or a video to USB device. The person asking for help also requests suggestions for other methods, and is given a link to a specific USB video capture device. They also inquire about how to connect a VCR to the device and the price range for these devices. The expert advises searching for "usb video capture/converters" and recommends looking for ones with the Hauppauge chipset, as they can be found for as low as $25.
ssbm_pro
I have been looking around the internet trying to find out how I can take VCR tapes and put them onto my computer. Like I guess plug up my VCR to my computer but I don't know how. I have a G4 Macintosh with Tiger 10.4.9 on it. I have recorded myself playing Super Smash Bros. Melee (a video game) and need to put it on a website. If you have any other ways of getting that on to the computer I would be really appreciate any tips or suggestions.

Thanks,

Paul

Computer science news on Phys.org
The best way is to have video input to your video card, not sure if Macs have this or not. Next you can get Video to USB device, like http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/470074-REG/Belkin_F5D5050_USB_10_100_Ethernet_Adapter.html

Integral said:
The best way is to have video input to your video card, not sure if Macs have this or not. Next you can get Video to USB device, like http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/470074-REG/Belkin_F5D5050_USB_10_100_Ethernet_Adapter.html

Thank you very much. So, all I need to buy is the thing on the link. I am just making sure so I don't do the wrong thing. I don't even need a video capture card on my computer?

Thanks

That is A devise that does what you want, there are many, you may want to read specs, look at prices ect to be sure you get a good one and as good a price as possible.

But after looking at it, how do I plug up my VCR to it? My VCR doesn't have any Ethernet hook-ups on the back. Is there a such thing as a USB to RCA Jacks converter? Like something you plug up to your USB drive then you can plug up any RCA thing to your computer?

I think integral got the link slightly wrong and meant this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/405226-REG/Belkin_F5U228_Hi_Speed_USB_2_0_DVD.html
There are lots of USB video capture devices around, generally with a USB connection to the compouter and an RCA socket for the video. You can either get one with sound included or you can use your sound card. They generally come with software to create a video file and a DVD.

mgb_phys said:
I think integral got the link slightly wrong and meant this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/405226-REG/Belkin_F5U228_Hi_Speed_USB_2_0_DVD.html
There are lots of USB video capture devices around, generally with a USB connection to the compouter and an RCA socket for the video. You can either get one with sound included or you can use your sound card. They generally come with software to create a video file and a DVD.

Thank you very much. Also, could you tell me what you typed into find that item. I was wanting to check on prices and stuff. That one said $114. I'm not sure if I can pay that much for one. If you don't care, what is a video capture card? I really appreciate you helping me out!

Thanks again,

Paul

Generally called usb video capture / converters.
Almost all are the same chipset inside - look for hauppauge, I have paid as little as $25 for them.

1. Can I transfer VCR tapes onto my computer?

Yes, it is possible to transfer VCR tapes onto your computer. There are several methods for doing so, such as using a VHS to DVD converter or a video capture device.

2. Do I need special equipment to transfer VCR tapes onto my computer?

Yes, you will need either a VHS to DVD converter or a video capture device to transfer VCR tapes onto your computer. These devices convert the analog signal from VCR tapes into a digital format that can be saved on your computer.

3. Can I transfer all types of VCR tapes onto my computer?

Yes, you can transfer most types of VCR tapes onto your computer, including VHS, VHS-C, and Betamax tapes. However, some tapes may require specific equipment or software to transfer successfully.

4. How long does it take to transfer VCR tapes onto my computer?

The time it takes to transfer VCR tapes onto your computer will vary depending on the length of the tape and the speed of your computer. On average, it can take anywhere from 1-2 hours to transfer a 2-hour VHS tape.

5. Do I need any technical knowledge to transfer VCR tapes onto my computer?

Some technical knowledge may be helpful when transferring VCR tapes onto your computer, but it is not necessary. Most VHS to DVD converters and video capture devices come with instructions that are easy to follow, and there are also many tutorials available online.