Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

VCR tapes and put them onto my computer

1. Aug 8, 2007 #1
    I have been looking around the internet trying to find out how I can take VCR tapes and put them onto my computer. Like I guess plug up my VCR to my computer but I don't know how. I have a G4 Macintosh with Tiger 10.4.9 on it. I have recorded myself playing Super Smash Bros. Melee (a video game) and need to put it on a website. If you have any other ways of getting that on to the computer I would be really appreciate any tips or suggestions.

Thanks,

Paul

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2007 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The best way is to have video input to your video card, not sure if Macs have this or not. Next you can get Video to USB device, like this

4. Aug 8, 2007 #3
    Thank you very much. So, all I need to buy is the thing on the link. I am just making sure so I don't do the wrong thing. I don't even need a video capture card on my computer?

Thanks

5. Aug 8, 2007 #4

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That is A devise that does what you want, there are many, you may want to read specs, look at prices ect to be sure you get a good one and as good a price as possible.

6. Aug 8, 2007 #5
    But after looking at it, how do I plug up my VCR to it? My VCR doesn't have any Ethernet hook-ups on the back. Is there a such thing as a USB to RCA Jacks converter? Like something you plug up to your USB drive then you can plug up any RCA thing to your computer?

7. Aug 8, 2007 #6

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

8. Aug 8, 2007 #7
    Thank you very much. Also, could you tell me what you typed in to find that item. I was wanting to check on prices and stuff. That one said $114. I'm not sure if I can pay that much for one. If you don't care, what is a video capture card? I really appreciate you helping me out!!!!

Thanks again,

Paul

9. Aug 8, 2007 #8

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Generally called usb video capture / converters.
    Almost all are the same chipset inside - look for hauppauge, I have paid as little as $25 for them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?