Vector 2B - Vector A (graphical method)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnitude and direction of Vector 2B - Vector A using the graphical method. The vectors are 4.00 units and 40 degrees below the x-axis for Vector A and 3.00 units and 25 degrees below the -x-axis for Vector B. After redrawing and adding the two vectors, the result is -0.8i - 0.6j with a magnitude of 1 and a direction of -130 degrees. The conversation also clarifies that the 4.00 and 3.00 units refer to the ax component of the vectors.
s31t8n8

Homework Statement

Vector A is 4.00 units and 40* below x-axis. Vector B is 3.00 units and 25* below -x-axis. Use the graphical method (only ruler and protractor) to find Vector 2B - Vector A. I have to find the magnitude and direction.

When I did it I got 8.5 and East, but I'm not sure if I did it right. When they say 4.00 and 3.00 units, is that the ax component of the vector? That's the way I did it. I drew out the vector then measured 3 and 4 units on the ax comp. of both vectors, then measured from that point down to the vector and got the ay component. Then I just solved for the magnitude.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
s31t8n8 said:

Homework Statement

Vector A is 4.00 units and 40* below x-axis. Vector B is 3.00 units and 25* below -x-axis. Use the graphical method (only ruler and protractor) to find Vector 2B - Vector A. I have to find the magnitude and direction.

When I did it I got 8.5 and East, but I'm not sure if I did it right. When they say 4.00 and 3.00 units, is that the ax component of the vector? That's the way I did it. I drew out the vector then measured 3 and 4 units on the ax comp. of both vectors, then measured from that point down to the vector and got the ay component. Then I just solved for the magnitude.

thanks

The vector length is 4 at an angle of 40 degrees down below positive X axis and the other vector is 3 long pointing down from the negative x-axis. (The other direction of x)

But they say 2*B which makes that vector 6 long.

LowlyPion said:
The vector length is 4 at an angle of 40 degrees down below positive X axis and the other vector is 3 long pointing down from the negative x-axis. (The other direction of x)

But they say 2*B which makes that vector 6 long.

ok i just redrew it and now I am lost. I am getting confused about what theyre asking

s31t8n8 said:
ok i just redrew it and now I am lost. I am getting confused about what theyre asking

You've drawn the two vectors - doubling B?

Then reverse Vector A - same length - opposite direction.

They say 2*B - A right. This is vector subtraction. But you do that by "adding" the negative of the Vector A.

Now add these two vectors together.

ok i did it again and I am sure i got it wrong again but i got
2*B-A= -.8i-.6j
magnitude = 1

Related to Vector 2B - Vector A (graphical method)

1. What is Vector 2B - Vector A (graphical method) and how is it used in science?

Vector 2B - Vector A (graphical method) is a method used in science to calculate the difference between two vectors. It involves drawing the two vectors on a graph and using basic geometric principles to find the resultant vector, which represents the difference between the two original vectors. This method is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to analyze and solve problems involving vector quantities.

2. Can you explain the steps involved in using the graphical method for Vector 2B - Vector A?

Sure, the steps for using the graphical method for Vector 2B - Vector A are as follows:

• 1. Draw the two vectors, Vector 2B and Vector A, on a graph with their tails at the origin.
  • 2. Draw a line from the tip of Vector A to the tip of Vector 2B.
  • 3. The length and direction of this line represent the resultant vector, Vector 2B - Vector A.

3. What are the key principles used in the graphical method for Vector 2B - Vector A?

The key principles used in the graphical method for Vector 2B - Vector A are the parallelogram law and the triangle law. The parallelogram law states that the sum of two vectors can be represented by the diagonal of a parallelogram formed by the two vectors. The triangle law states that the difference between two vectors can be represented by the third side of a triangle formed by the two vectors.

4. How does the graphical method for Vector 2B - Vector A compare to other methods of vector subtraction?

The graphical method for Vector 2B - Vector A is a visual and geometric approach to vector subtraction. It is often preferred in science because it allows for a better understanding of the relationship between the two original vectors and the resultant vector. Other methods, such as using the components of the vectors, may be more efficient for calculations but do not provide the same level of understanding.

5. Can the graphical method be used for Vector 2B - Vector A in three-dimensional space?

Yes, the graphical method can be used for Vector 2B - Vector A in three-dimensional space. In this case, the two vectors would be represented as lines in 3D space, and the resultant vector would be represented as the diagonal of a parallelepiped formed by the two original vectors. The same principles of the parallelogram law and the triangle law would still apply.