Vector Analysis Identity simplification/manipulation

In summary, the problem involves simplifying the expression \nabla\cdot(g\nabla \times (g\mathbf{G})) using vector identities and the given information that \mathbf{G}(x,y,z) is an irrotational vector field and g(x,y,z) is a C^1 function. The attempt at a solution involves using the identity \nabla\cdot(\mathbf{F} \times \mathbf{G}) = \mathbf{G}\cdot(\nabla\times\mathbf{F}) - \mathbf{F}\cdot(\nabla\times\mathbf{G}) and simplifying the expression by treating g\nabla as
jspectral

Homework Statement

Let [tex]\mathbf{G}(x,y,z)[/tex] be an irrotational vector field and g(x,y,z) a [tex]C^1[/tex] function. Use vector identities to simplify:

[tex]\nabla\cdot(g\nabla \times (g\mathbf{G})) [/tex]

Homework Equations

The '14 basic vector identities'

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the identity [tex]\nabla\cdot(\mathbf{F} \times \mathbf{G}) = \mathbf{G}\cdot(\nabla\times\mathbf{F}) - \mathbf{F}\cdot(\nabla\times\mathbf{G})[/tex]

But I'm not sure if i can treat [tex] g\nabla [/tex] as a vector?

Really I'm quite clueless.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, I wouldn't treat [tex]g\nabla [/tex] as a vector, it's an operator. Start from the inside. You've got curl(gG). Irrotational tells you curl(G)=0. How does that let you simplify curl(gG)? BTW curl(X)=[tex]\nabla\times\mathbf{X}[/tex]. div(X)=[tex]\nabla\cdot\mathbf{X}[/tex].

Last edited:

1. What is vector analysis identity simplification/manipulation?

Vector analysis identity simplification/manipulation is the process of manipulating vector identities to simplify and solve for unknown variables in vector equations. These identities involve mathematical properties and relationships between vectors such as the dot product and cross product.

2. Why is vector analysis identity simplification/manipulation important?

Vector analysis identity simplification/manipulation is important because it allows scientists and engineers to solve complex vector equations and simplify them for easier analysis. It is a crucial tool in many fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

3. What are some common vector identities used in simplification/manipulation?

Some common vector identities used in simplification/manipulation include the distributive property, the associative property, and the commutative property. Other important identities involve the dot product and cross product of vectors, as well as the triple product.

4. How do you simplify a vector equation using identities?

To simplify a vector equation using identities, you must first identify the specific identities that can be applied. Then, use algebraic manipulation and substitution to transform the equation into a simpler form. This may involve expanding terms, factoring, or using trigonometric identities.

5. Are there any limitations to vector analysis identity simplification/manipulation?

While vector analysis identity simplification/manipulation is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It can only be applied to vector equations and cannot be used for scalar equations. Additionally, some equations may not have a simplified form or may require advanced mathematical techniques to simplify.