Vector and components problem

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the ordered pair (x,z) for the components of the vector R(AB) using the equation R(AB) = R(B) - R(A). After solving for the components of vectors A and B, there is a discrepancy in the final answer, which is eventually resolved by taking into account the negative x coordinate of vector B. The final correct answer is (1100, 26).
Thunderer
A radar station, located at the origin of xz plane, as shown in the figure, detects an airplane coming straight at the station from the east. At first observation (point A), the position of the airplane relative to the origin is R_vec_A. The position vector R_vec_A has a magnitude of 360m and is located at exactly 40 degrees above the horizon. The airplane is tracked for another 123 degrees in the vertical east-west plane for 5.0s, until it has passed directly over the station and reached point B. The position of point B relative to the origin is R_vec_B (the magnitude of R_vec_B is 880 m).
I'm suppose to find the ordered pair (x,z) for components of the vector R(AB), which I am suppose to be able to find by R(AB) = R(B) - R(A).

http://server6.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=phytest.jpg

So far, I solved for the components of the vector of B, and the vector of A.

Vector A:
cos 40 = x/360; x = 276
sin 40 degrees = y/360; y = 231
= (276, 231)

Vector B:
I guess to use sin, cos, tan I need a right angle. So I do the bottom of B to do it. (123+40=163; 180-163=17 degrees)
cos 17 = x/880; x = 842
sin 17 = y/880; y = 257
= (842, 257)

Vector B - Vector A = (842, 257) - (276, 231) = (566, 26)

Which is wrong. What am I doing wrong? Should I be doing Vector B a different way? Or did I do the entire thing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
What you've forgotten to do is to take into account that the B x coordinate should be negative because you have crossed the perpendicular to the origin.

B = (-842,257)

easy mistake to make.

Well, that makes it:
(-842, 257) - (276, 231) = (-1118, 26)

Unfortunately it's still wrong, I guess I'll have to think of something else.

Could you clarify exactly what vector they want you to find or post the answer so I can work it out. Are you sure you're supposed to only subtract a from b?

The answer is (1100, 26). Your answer was off due a slight rounding error.

1. What are vector and components problems?

Vector and components problems involve using vector quantities, which have both magnitude and direction, to solve mathematical equations. These types of problems often require breaking a vector into its components in order to solve for unknown quantities.

2. How do I solve a vector and components problem?

To solve a vector and components problem, you will need to first identify the vector quantities involved and their respective magnitudes and directions. Then, use trigonometric functions to find the components of each vector. Finally, use algebraic methods to solve for the unknown quantities.

3. What are some common applications of vector and components problems?

Vector and components problems are commonly used in physics and engineering, as they allow for the analysis of complex systems with multiple forces acting on them. These problems can also be found in navigation, such as finding the resultant velocity of an object moving in multiple directions.

4. How do I find the resultant vector in a vector and components problem?

The resultant vector in a vector and components problem can be found by adding together all of the individual vector components. This can be done using the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions. The magnitude and direction of the resultant vector can then be determined using the calculated components.

5. What are some common mistakes made when solving vector and components problems?

Some common mistakes made when solving vector and components problems include forgetting to consider the direction of a vector, using the wrong trigonometric function, and not breaking a vector into its components correctly. It is important to carefully label and draw diagrams to avoid these mistakes and ensure an accurate solution.