Vector Calculus Problem, cylinderical co-ords.

In summary, the divergance theorem states that the divergence of a vector field is zero at a point where the field is integrable. The author solved a problem by switching to cylindrical coordinates and using the divergence theorem.
Spoony
For divergance thereom, say i have a volume integral to calculate of form [tex] \iiint_V \nabla F dV [/tex]

i can relate it to the form:
[tex] \iint_S F.dS = \iiint_V \nabla F dV [/tex]
and calculate using the left hand side,

[tex] \iint_S F.n dS [/tex]

where n is the unit vector normal to the surface of integration.

for my surface I have a cylinder.
of form x^2 + y^2 =< 1 for 0 =< z =< 3

So splitting this up brings me 3 surfaces, the top 'cap' the bottom 'cap' and the part around the middle. i can compute by intergrating the vector field seperately over each surface (i think) and summing over each suurface.

question is do i use the same normal vector for all surfaces ie the normal to the main surfaces, or do i for each separate surface use a different normal vector?

i switched to cylnderical co-ords to solve this.

i assumed at first it was a separate normal for each vector. but this gave me a dot product of zero for the area of the strip aroundthe cylinder.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming your cylinder looks like this:

Cylinder_%28geometry%29.png

you break it up into the top, the bottom and the curved side surfaces. For each surface, you have to pick a normal direction, and you have to be careful. The divergence theorem uses the outward pointing normal, so the normal has to point out of the cylinder. Hence on the top the normal points up, on the bottom the normal points down, and on the sides the normal points away from the center.

Yup thanks i got that all :) cleared up aib gproblem for me thanks!

so my vector field F is (-yi + xj + zk) * f(x,y)

in cartesian co-ords
My intergral looks like this:

[tex] \iint F.-k dS + \iint F.-k dS + \iint F.n [/tex]

where the parts are top, bottom, bit that goes round respectively.

on the top of the cylinder the circle's normal points up so its normal vector is positive k on the bottom the unit vector points down so its normal vector is negative k, (not worried about the bit that goes round yet)

so surely due to the laws of dot product:
[tex]\iint F.-k dS[/tex] = [tex]\iint -F.k dS[/tex] = [tex]- \iint F.k dS [/tex]

therefore the top part is of form: [tex]\iint F.-k dS[/tex]
and the bottom is of form: [tex]- \iint F.k dS [/tex]

so surely these 2 should cancel? leaving only the round bit?

First, the top part shouldn't have that - sign... and they won't cancel anyway, because you're integrating over different domains

Yeah i see that they won't cancel now, different z values.
That was a mistake by me copying and pasting latex code :$

The bottom part will have 0 value for its intergrand as z=0 there and it'll be -k.(0k-yi+xj)f(x,y)) this correct?

The problem is far easier to solve in cylndrical coordinate system, so area for a disc in this coordinate system is r dr dϕ.

but the vector field simplifies to eϕ/16 + zez/16

i treat the z value as 3 for the top circle, dot product with positive ez gives 3/16 (when working in cylnderical coords).
intergrate over [tex]\iint (3/16) r dr d\phi [/tex]
for r = 1 unit circle range is 1 to 0, for ϕ range is 0 to 2 [tex]\pi[/tex]

so awnser is 6 [tex]\pi[/tex] / 16 = 3 [tex]\pi[/tex] / 8

(thats not meant to be to the power of pi btw :S but multiplied)

anything wrong here? I am so shaky on these type of computations

o btw the function f(x,y) = (x^2+y^2) / [1+(x^2+y^2)^4]^4
should this repeated x^2+y^2 = sqrt(r) or should it equal 1 as
[tex] x = pcos\phi [/tex] and [tex] x = psin\phi [/tex]
where I've used the trigonemtric identity cos^2(t) + sin^2(t) = 1
im very confused here.

ok for the vector function i now have
[tex]\frac{p^{6} (\vec{e}_{\phi} + z \vec{e}_{z})}{(1 + p^{8})^{4}}[/tex]
for the unit disk i have the intergral of [tex] 3 \int \frac{p^{7}}{(1 + p^{8})^{4}}dp \int d_{\phi} [/tex]

for the range p, 0 to 1 and phi 0 to 2*pi

is this correct?

Solving for the unit disk i get 7/32 * pi
using the substitution u = 1+p^8
Does this sound about right?

How do i solve for the round part of the cylinder it has normal unit vector [tex] \vec{e} _{p} [/tex]

As vector equation of field reads:
[tex]\frac{p^{6} (\vec{e}_{\phi} + z \vec{e}_{z})}{(1 + p^{8})^{4}}[/tex]
But this is surely wrong as then the dot product with the normal is zero,
but taking back to co-ord's in cartesian then i could call the unit vector [tex] \vec{e} _{p} = \vec{i}cos _{\phi} + \vec{j}sin _{\phi} [/tex]

Which would result in something hurrendus (sp?!) is this a valid method to take?

Last edited:
On the actual cylinder portion (as opposed to the top/bottom) x2+y2=1 everywhere on the cylinder, so f(x,y) just becomes a constant for that integration (making things a lot easier). Although it doesn't look like your parametrization is right... parametrization should be

[tex]( \theta , z[/tex] where theta is the angle in the x-y plane (as per polar coordinates) of the vector, and z is the height of the vector... so

[tex] x = cos( \theta )[/tex]
[tex]y = sin( \theta )[/tex]
[tex]z = z[/tex]

are the equations of the parametrization

Last edited:
well in cylinderical polar co-ords z (cartesian) = z (cylinderical polar).
(nevermind you corrected)

also what parametrization do you refer to being wrong? the calculation of the disk?

Ahh yes treating f(x,y) as a constant makes this a WHOLE lot simpler, f(x,y) now equals 1/16
for this intergrand and the dot product of the vector field -yi + xj with k terms redundant as the dot product is for the unit vector icos(phi) + jsin(phi).

so dot product is: [tex]\frac{1}{16} * ( -ycos(\phi) + xsin(\phi) )[/tex]

since r = 1, x = cos(phi), y=sin(thi)

so dot product is

[tex]\frac{1}{16} * ( -sin(\phi)cos(\phi) + cos(\phi)sin(\phi) )[/tex]
which is zero :S

i know is 3 to 0 for z and 0 to 2pi for phi.

trouble is though i still think that this should have a value, tearing my hair out here I am so clsoe :P

Last edited:
I forgot latex doesn't like spaces... I reformatted it so it makes more sense

With respect to

o btw the function f(x,y) = (x^2+y^2) / [1+(x^2+y^2)^4]^4
should this repeated x^2+y^2 = sqrt(r) or should it equal 1

I wasn't sure whether you were referring to the unit disk or the cylindrical portion (I thought the cylindrical portion, but now I think I was wrong))... on the cylindrical portion this just becomes a constant. On the unit disk part, this becomes (if the parametrization is r, theta)

f(x,y) = r2/[1+r4]4

So your integration before was wrong. But notice when I multiply this by r, it's a nice easy substitution u=r4

i was inaccurate with my function f(x,y) let me correct myself, i aplogise for how long it was wrong. :(.

[tex] f(x,y) = \frac{(x^{2} + y^{2})^{3}}{(1+(x^{2} + y^{2})^{4})^{4}} [/tex]

not very pretty at all, but when field is dotted with k or unit vector on spherical co-ords pointing up ez
is gives...

[tex] 3 \frac{p^{6}}{(1 + p^{8})^{4}}[/tex]

as (x^2+y^2) = r^2

Last edited:
Can no-one help me? i appreciate the help very much from office_shredder, but he can't be the only one that knows about the divergance thereom and intergration of a vector field over a surface. I'm pretty desperate now as i just want to solve the damn thing, but i feel like i just need someone to check over all my work.

That looks fine (actually, I had an error in my previous post when calculating f(x,y) now that I look at it again; the old version didn't let you do integration by parts)). Remember you have an additional p from the change of coordinates when integrating over the disk, so you can still do the substitution u=p8 and get something easily integrable. So you end up getting...

[tex]\int_0^{2 \pi } \int_0^1 \frac{3}{16} \frac{p^7}{(1+p^8)^4} dp d \theta [/tex]

which you should be able to do.

For your side component, that looks right... intuitively, (-y,x) in the x-y plane (we ignore z since the normal doesn't have a z component) is perpendicular to the vector (x,y). So F basically was the tangent vector of the circular slice of the cylinder, and hence you wouldn't expect it to contribute to how much stuff flows in and out of the cylinder

Mathematically speaking, your way's a better description of course, but this is why you would expect that kind of result

For the last latex expression, the 1/16 part is incorrect, you onl get 1/16 when you take x^2+y^2=1 ie when y and x are constants, that does not happen on the unit disk on z = 3.

1. What is Vector Calculus?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vectors and their properties. It involves the use of vector operations, such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication, to solve problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

2. What are cylindrical coordinates?

Cylindrical coordinates are a type of coordinate system that uses a combination of polar coordinates and height to represent a point in three-dimensional space. In this system, a point is represented by its distance from the origin, its angle with the positive x-axis, and its height above the xy-plane.

3. How do you convert between cylindrical and Cartesian coordinates?

To convert from cylindrical to Cartesian coordinates, use the following equations:
x = r * cos(theta)
y = r * sin(theta)
z = z
where r is the distance from the origin, theta is the angle with the positive x-axis, and z is the height above the xy-plane. To convert from Cartesian to cylindrical coordinates, use the equations:
r = sqrt(x^2 + y^2)
theta = arctan(y/x)
z = z.

4. What are some common applications of vector calculus?

Vector calculus is used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, computer graphics, and economics. It is used to model and solve problems involving motion, forces, and fields. Some common applications include calculating the trajectory of a projectile, determining the electric and magnetic fields of charged particles, and optimizing the production of goods in a market.

5. How can I improve my understanding of vector calculus?

To improve your understanding of vector calculus, it is important to have a strong foundation in basic calculus and linear algebra. Additionally, practicing solving problems and visualizing vector operations can help deepen your understanding. It can also be helpful to seek out online resources, textbooks, or attend lectures or workshops on the subject.