Vector Calculus Supplies: Textbook, Syllabus, & More

In summary, the conversation discusses recommendations for supplemental material and textbooks for a vector calculus course. The textbooks mentioned include "Vector Calculus" by Susan Jane Colley, "Advanced Calculus" by Loomis and Sternberg, and "Marsden & Tromba." The participants also mention a free text available online.
sandy.bridge
Looking for supplemental material.
This is the textbook I am supposed to use.
416D1%2BTMqHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

(http://www.amazon.com/dp/0321549287/?tag=pfamazon01-20)

The syllabus is: Vector fields; vector calculus; ordinary differential equations; sequences, series, and power series.

Physics news on Phys.org
in the old days everyone agreed the best book was by williamson, crowell and trotter. I myself liked and learned from the book by wendell fleming.

Likes ComplexVar89
Vector Calculus by Susan Jane Colley is what my school is using for our vector calculus course intended for mathematics majors. To be honest I didn't even purchase the book for that course, but from other students who had a bit of trouble with calculus I've heard it's quite good :)

There is a free text here. I haven't used it, though.
http://www.mecmath.net/

If you want hardcore supplemental, there is "Advanced Calculus" by Loomis and Sternberg. Available here:
http://www.math.harvard.edu/people/SternbergShlomo.html

I wouldn't really recommend it until after your vector course, though.

In my honours vector calc. course we used Marsden & Tromba. I would recommend it if you are looking for a deeper perspective than in Adams.

I ended up ordering Marsden & Tromba. I am assuming there will be a HUGE difference in rigorousness.

1. What is vector calculus?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the differentiation and integration of vector fields. It is used to study the properties and behavior of objects that have both magnitude and direction, such as force, velocity, and acceleration.

2. What topics are typically covered in a vector calculus textbook?

A typical vector calculus textbook will cover topics such as vector operations, vector fields, line integrals, surface integrals, and the theorems of Green, Stokes, and Gauss. It may also cover applications of vector calculus in physics, engineering, and other fields.

3. What are some common applications of vector calculus?

Vector calculus has many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields where quantities with both magnitude and direction need to be analyzed. Some examples include fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, computer graphics, and optimization problems.

4. How is vector calculus different from regular calculus?

Vector calculus deals with quantities that have both magnitude and direction, while regular calculus deals with scalar quantities. Vector calculus also uses vector operations, such as dot products and cross products, which are not typically used in regular calculus.

5. How can I prepare for a vector calculus course?

To prepare for a vector calculus course, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in algebra, trigonometry, and basic calculus. It can also be helpful to review vector operations and familiarize yourself with the notation used in vector calculus. Some online resources, such as Khan Academy, offer introductory lessons and practice problems for vector calculus.