Proving Vector Cross Product Properties in ℝ3?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between vectors in ℝ3 and the cross product. The participants attempt to prove that e1 x e2 = e3, e2 x e3 = e1 and e3 x e1 = e2, but are unable to do so and question if their textbook is incorrect. They realize that the equation is only true for special vectors and it is not true for any three vectors. The concept of the cross product being "bilinear" and anti-commutative is also mentioned.
Jow
If e1 and e2 are vectors in ℝ3 show that e1 x e2 = e3, e2 x e3 = e1 and e3 x e1 = e2. I have tried to prove this but I can't get it.

My attempt:
Step 1: [a1, a2, a3] x [b1, b2, b3] = [a2b3-a3b2, a3b1-a1b3, a1b2-a2b1]
Step 2: [b1, b2, b3] x [a2b3-b2a3, a3b1-a1b3, a1b2-a2b1] = [b2(a1b2-a2b1)-b3(a3b1-a1b3), b3(a2b3-a3b2)-b1(a1b2-a2b1), b1(a3b1-a1b3)-b2(a2b3-b2a3)] ... nothing cancels and I do not end up with [a1, a2, a3], which I should shouldn't I?
I also try this with actual numbers but it still doesn't work. Am I doing something completely wrong? I understand, geometrically, why this should happen because the cross product is orthogonal to the two vectors. Am I doing something wrong or is my textbook wrong? (I am pretty sure the former is the right answer to that question).

Physics news on Phys.org
Jow said:
If e1 and e2 are vectors in ℝ3 show that e1 x e2 = e3, e2 x e3 = e1 and e3 x e1 = e2. I have tried to prove this but I can't get it.

My attempt:
Step 1: [a1, a2, a3] x [b1, b2, b3] = [a2b3-a3b2, a3b1-a1b3, a1b2-a2b1]
Step 2: [b1, b2, b3] x [a2b3-b2a3, a3b1-a1b3, a1b2-a2b1] = [b2(a1b2-a2b1)-b3(a3b1-a1b3), b3(a2b3-a3b2)-b1(a1b2-a2b1), b1(a3b1-a1b3)-b2(a2b3-b2a3)] ... nothing cancels and I do not end up with [a1, a2, a3], which I should shouldn't I?
I also try this with actual numbers but it still doesn't work. Am I doing something completely wrong? I understand, geometrically, why this should happen because the cross product is orthogonal to the two vectors. Am I doing something wrong or is my textbook wrong? (I am pretty sure the former is the right answer to that question).

I think they mean e1=[1,0,0], e2=[0,1,0] and e3=[0,0,1]. They are special vectors. It's not true for any three vectors.

Oh good. I thought I was missing something really important. I must have just misread the question. Thanks.

In fact, one way of defining the "cross product" is to assert that [itex]e_1\times e_2= e_3[/itex], [itex]e_2\times e_3= e_1[/itex], [itex]e_3\times e_1= e_2[/itex], that the product is "bilinear" and anti-commutative.

What is a vector cross product?

A vector cross product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors in three-dimensional space and produces a new vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors.

What is the formula for calculating a vector cross product?

The formula for calculating a vector cross product is:

a x b = (aybz - azby)i + (azbx - axbz)j + (axby - aybx)k

where a and b are the two vectors, and i, j, and k are unit vectors in the x, y, and z directions respectively.

What are some real-life applications of vector cross product?

The vector cross product has many applications in physics and engineering, including calculating the torque on an object, determining the direction of magnetic fields, and finding the normal vector to a plane.

What are some important properties of vector cross product?

Some important properties of vector cross product include:

• The cross product of two vectors is orthogonal to both of the original vectors.
  • The magnitude of the cross product is equal to the area of the parallelogram formed by the two vectors.
  • The direction of the cross product can be determined using the right-hand rule.

How can I prove the vector cross product formula?

The vector cross product formula can be proved using the properties of determinants and the geometric interpretation of the cross product as the area of a parallelogram. The proof involves expanding the determinant and simplifying the resulting expression to obtain the formula.