1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Cross Product question

1. Apr 20, 2008 #1
    1. Find axb: Given the magnitude of lal=3 and the magnitude of lbl=2.

2. Since I have the magnitudes, I thought maybe I could use the equation of axb=lal lbl sin theta.

3. I thought since I am trying to find axb that I could use 90 as the angle theta to find axb. I am thinking that is not a good approach because theta isn't given in the problem. I also thought that I could possibly find theta by the dot product but again, I don't have the actual points to find it. I did calculate the (3)(2)sin90 and that is equal to 6, but I don't think that is the right approach. If someone can give me pointers on how to possibly start this, I will be able to finish it up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2008 #2

benorin

Homework Helper

You do not have enough information to calculate the cross product uniquely. Re-read the problem: did they give any more information? did they ask for the answer in terms of something else? if available, check the answer in the back of the book...

Note: the correct formula is: [itex]| \vec{a}\times\vec{b}| =|\vec{a}|\cdot |\vec{b}|\sin\theta[/tex].

Last edited: Apr 20, 2008
  4. Apr 20, 2008 #3
    You were right. I was missing the picture. I can use the formula that you gave above because the angle is 90 so I was right before.

Thanks for your help is suggesting that I was missing some information.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?