How can the vector cross product be calculated when only magnitudes are given?

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the cross product of two vectors with given magnitudes and the possible methods to approach it. The correct formula for calculating the cross product is mentioned and the importance of having all necessary information is emphasized. Finally, it is concluded that the approach of using a 90 degree angle is correct and the missing information was a visual representation of the vectors.
glemkat
1. Find axb: Given the magnitude of lal=3 and the magnitude of lbl=2.

2. Since I have the magnitudes, I thought maybe I could use the equation of axb=lal lbl sin theta.

3. I thought since I am trying to find axb that I could use 90 as the angle theta to find axb. I am thinking that is not a good approach because theta isn't given in the problem. I also thought that I could possibly find theta by the dot product but again, I don't have the actual points to find it. I did calculate the (3)(2)sin90 and that is equal to 6, but I don't think that is the right approach. If someone can give me pointers on how to possibly start this, I will be able to finish it up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You do not have enough information to calculate the cross product uniquely. Re-read the problem: did they give any more information? did they ask for the answer in terms of something else? if available, check the answer in the back of the book...

Note: the correct formula is: [itex]| \vec{a}\times\vec{b}| =|\vec{a}|\cdot |\vec{b}|\sin\theta[/tex].

Last edited:
You were right. I was missing the picture. I can use the formula that you gave above because the angle is 90 so I was right before.

Thanks for your help is suggesting that I was missing some information.

1. What is the vector cross product?

The vector cross product is a mathematical operation that combines two vectors to produce a third vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors. It is also known as the vector product or the cross product.

2. How is the vector cross product calculated?

The vector cross product can be calculated by taking the determinant of a 3x3 matrix composed of the unit vectors i, j, and k, and the components of the two input vectors. The result is a vector in the direction perpendicular to the two input vectors.

3. What is the significance of the direction of the resulting vector in the vector cross product?

The direction of the resulting vector in the vector cross product is important because it is perpendicular to the original vectors and indicates the direction of the rotation between them. This can be useful in applications such as 3D graphics and physics.

4. What are some real-world applications of the vector cross product?

The vector cross product has many real-world applications, such as calculating torque in physics, determining the direction of magnetic fields, and finding the normal vector of a surface in 3D graphics. It is also used in engineering and navigation.

5. Can the vector cross product be used with vectors in any number of dimensions?

No, the vector cross product is only defined for 3-dimensional vectors. It is not possible to calculate the cross product of vectors in higher or lower dimensions. In these cases, alternative methods such as the dot product or outer product may be used.