Vector Displacement Components for Minute Hand from 8:00am to 8:20am

In summary, the displacement vector of the tip of the minute hand from 8:00am to 8:20am can be expressed as x = sqrt 3 and y = 1. The correct angle for 8:20am is 120 degrees, which can be calculated using the formula (6 degrees/minute) * (20 minutes). The y component at 8:20am is -(2cm*sin30) and the x component is 2cm*cos30. It is important to note that (360 degrees) / (60 minutes) = 6 degrees/minute, or (30 degrees) / (5 minutes) = 6 degrees/minute.
Lamnia
The minute hand on a watch is 2.0 cm in length. What is the displacement vector of the tip of the minute hand from 8:00am to 8:20am. Express the vector in x and y components.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm beginning to be a little frustrated with what I thought was a simple vector addition problem.

Here's my approach:

at 8 the y component is 2cm, and the x component is zero

as the minute hand moves in 5 minute intervals around the clock, it covers intervals of 30 degrees. Therefore at 8:20, the y component should be -(2cm*sin30) and the x component should be 2cm*cos30.

Upon addition of the components we would have x = sqrt 3 and y = 2-1 =1

However, I've submitted these answers, and they are incorrect.

Can someone please indicate where I went wrong so that I can recalculate and resubmit this homework problem? Thank you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's be clear that:
Code:
(360 degrees) / (60 minutes) = 6 degrees/minute
Or, if you like:
Code:
(30 degrees) / (5 minutes) = 6 degrees/minute
It seems like at 8:20 the correct angle would be:
Code:
(6 degrees/minute) * (20 minutes) = 120 degrees

Thanks, so much... I'd even calculated 120 degrees and then just looked at the 30 degrees below the horizontal to determine the components :) I can finally move on to the next problem!

1. What is a vector displacement problem?

A vector displacement problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the difference between two points represented by vectors. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the displacement of an object in space.

2. How do you solve a vector displacement problem?

To solve a vector displacement problem, you must first identify the initial and final positions of the object in question. Then, subtract the initial position vector from the final position vector to find the displacement vector. You can also use the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions to solve for the magnitude and direction of the displacement vector.

3. What are some real-life applications of vector displacement problems?

Vector displacement problems are used in many real-life applications, such as navigation systems, projectile motion, and robotics. They are also used in computer graphics to create 3D animations and simulations.

4. How does vector displacement differ from scalar displacement?

Vector displacement is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction, while scalar displacement only has magnitude. In other words, vector displacement takes into account the direction of the displacement, whereas scalar displacement does not.

5. What are some common challenges when solving vector displacement problems?

One common challenge when solving vector displacement problems is dealing with vectors in different coordinate systems, such as Cartesian or polar coordinates. Another challenge is understanding vector addition and subtraction, as well as vector components and dot products. It is important to have a strong understanding of vector algebra and trigonometry to successfully solve vector displacement problems.