1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Displacement Problem

1. Sep 12, 2008 #1
    The minute hand on a watch is 2.0 cm in length. What is the displacement vector of the tip of the minute hand from 8:00am to 8:20am. Express the vector in x and y components.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm beginning to be a little frustrated with what I thought was a simple vector addition problem.

Here's my approach:

at 8 the y component is 2cm, and the x component is zero

as the minute hand moves in 5 minute intervals around the clock, it covers intervals of 30 degrees. Therefore at 8:20, the y component should be -(2cm*sin30) and the x component should be 2cm*cos30.

Upon addition of the components we would have x = sqrt 3 and y = 2-1 =1

However, I've submitted these answers, and they are incorrect.

Can someone please indicate where I went wrong so that I can recalculate and resubmit this homework problem? Thank you :)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2008 #2
    Let's be clear that:
    Code (Text):
    (360 degrees) / (60 minutes) = 6 degrees/minute
    Or, if you like:
    Code (Text):
    (30 degrees) / (5 minutes) = 6 degrees/minute
    It seems like at 8:20 the correct angle would be:
    Code (Text):
    (6 degrees/minute) * (20 minutes) = 120 degrees

4. Sep 12, 2008 #3
    Thanks, so much... I'd even calculated 120 degrees and then just looked at the 30 degrees below the horizontal to determine the components :) I can finally move on to the next problem!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?