Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Vector Multiplication

1. Feb 12, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

"PRQSTU is a regular hexagon of side 2 units. PQ,QR and RS represent vectors a, b andc respectively. Find the value of a.(b + c)

The hexagon is a regular hexagon starting at the far left (ie pointing left) with P then anti clockwise through U at the top left.

2. Relevant equations

None that I can think of.

3. The attempt at a solution

I really don't know where to start. I've guessed that a (PQ) = -c. But I don't know where to go from there and now I'm really confused.

Any help greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You must be drawing a pretty horrid picture of a hexagon to be guessing that a=(-c). If you draw a neat picture you will probably realize there is a special angular relationship between a and b+c. You could also just tough it out and compute the components of the vectors a, b and c, since you know their lengths and the angles between them.

4. Feb 12, 2007 #3
    Thanks for the reply.

I think I realised why I was lost - it's because I was! We haven't been taught this part of vectors yet, and I was looking at a past paper.

Haha, oops. The picture was already printed for me and I thought that a=(-c). I better stick to diagrams of squares. :)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook