1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Multiplication

1. Feb 12, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

"PRQSTU is a regular hexagon of side 2 units. PQ,QR and RS represent vectors a, b andc respectively. Find the value of a.(b + c)

The hexagon is a regular hexagon starting at the far left (ie pointing left) with P then anti clockwise through U at the top left.

2. Relevant equations

None that I can think of.

3. The attempt at a solution

I really don't know where to start. I've guessed that a (PQ) = -c. But I don't know where to go from there and now I'm really confused.

Any help greatly appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You must be drawing a pretty horrid picture of a hexagon to be guessing that a=(-c). If you draw a neat picture you will probably realize there is a special angular relationship between a and b+c. You could also just tough it out and compute the components of the vectors a, b and c, since you know their lengths and the angles between them.
  4. Feb 12, 2007 #3
    Thanks for the reply.

I think I realised why I was lost - it's because I was! We haven't been taught this part of vectors yet, and I was looking at a past paper.

Haha, oops. The picture was already printed for me and I thought that a=(-c). I better stick to diagrams of squares. :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?