Vector parallel to our instantaneous direction of travel

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of parallel transport on a sphere and how it can lead to a different direction of the vector at the end of a closed path. However, it is noted that this is not always the case and a closed and smooth path may result in the vector pointing in the same direction as the initial direction. The conversation also touches on the idea of parallel transport in different spaces and the potential for confusion between parallel transport and closed paths.
touqra
"If we trace out a close path on a sphere, requiring that we always hold some vector parallel to our instantaneous direction of travel, at the end of our trip, the vector will no longer point in the same direction as it did at the time of departure."

I did a small test with what he claims. But it wasn't true at all.
Did I miss something?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
start at the north pole and start walking down the lne iof 0 degrees longitude, surely you can see that is is easy to end upi walking back to the north pole with the vector pointing in some other direction? eg loop round and approach from the line of 90 degrees longitude.

He should have said "may" instead of "will", as you can find closed paths that do return the vector to its original orientation.

Last edited:
why is this impossible on euclidean space? move the vector round the edge of a (smoothed off if we want to not worry about sharp undifferentiable bends) square it comes back pointing at 90 degrees. of course if the closed paths are required to be smooth at all points, including where it joins up (ie a smooth non intersecting map of S^1 into the space) then it is impossible in any space. it is impossible to parallel transport a vector to a different on in R^n, and possible on S^2, but that isn't what the question was after.

Last edited:
Ah, good catch. I was thinking of parallel transport when I added that.

matt grime said:
start at the north pole and start walking down the lne iof 0 degrees longitude, surely you can see that is is easy to end upi walking back to the north pole with the vector pointing in some other direction? eg loop round and approach from the line of 90 degrees longitude.

But then, if I were to loop around and come back via the 90 deg longitude, I would have a sharp bend at the point where 90 deg is connected to 0 deg longitude. So, if I were to "smooth out" this sharp bend, I would finally end up with a vector pointing at the same direction as the initial direction.

you don't have to smooth out the final join though. it doesn't say the path is smooth and closed, just closed. as i said, if the path has to closed and smooth (homeomorphic and infinitely differnetiable image of S^1) then it is wrong.

i don't know what the author is getting at though, as this is true in any space. it sounds to me like they're getting parallel transport messed up.

What is a vector parallel to our instantaneous direction of travel?

A vector parallel to our instantaneous direction of travel is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude and direction, and is parallel to the direction we are currently moving in.

Why is it important to understand vectors parallel to our instantaneous direction of travel?

Understanding vectors parallel to our instantaneous direction of travel is important because they can help us analyze and predict the motion of objects. They also play a crucial role in many scientific and engineering fields, such as physics, mechanics, and navigation.

How do we calculate the magnitude of a vector parallel to our instantaneous direction of travel?

The magnitude of a vector parallel to our instantaneous direction of travel can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the magnitude of a vector is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of its components.

Can a vector parallel to our instantaneous direction of travel change?

Yes, a vector parallel to our instantaneous direction of travel can change if the direction of our travel changes. However, the magnitude of the vector will remain constant as long as the speed of our travel remains constant.

How can we represent a vector parallel to our instantaneous direction of travel?

A vector parallel to our instantaneous direction of travel can be represented using various mathematical notations and graphical methods. Some common notations include using a boldface letter or an arrow above the variable, while graphical representations can include arrows or line segments with specific lengths and directions.