Vector Problem. Free and dummy indices?

In summary, ABCij = Xk Xl AikBklClj is a system of equations with dummy indices k and l and free indices i and j. The number of equations is determined by the possible combinations of the free indices. The ranges of summation for k and l depend on the dimension of the problem.
P-Jay1
(ABC)ij =Xk Xl AikBklClj where x is the sum of

In the above equation which are the dummy indices and which are the free indices?

I think i and j are free, and k and l are dummy. But I am not surre!

Physics news on Phys.org
That's right.

The above is a system of equations. I don't know how many it holds though. Is it 3? How do i show this?

You have one equation for each possible combination of the free indices, e.g. i=1, j=1; i=2, j=1; etc. How many does that give you?

Thankyou vela I see now! I've got one last question:What are the ranges of summation over k and l?

It is impossible to answer that, just as it is impossible to say exactly how many equations that represents, without knowing the dimension of the problem. If two dimensional, all indices range from 1 to 2, if three dimensional, from 1 to 3. If four dimensional, from 1 to 4, etc.

What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is commonly represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow indicating the magnitude and the direction of the arrow indicating the direction.

What is a free index in a vector problem?

A free index in a vector problem refers to an index that can take on any value without affecting the solution. It is typically denoted by a Greek letter.

What is a dummy index in a vector problem?

A dummy index in a vector problem refers to an index that is used to denote a summation. It is typically denoted by a Latin letter.

How are free indices and dummy indices used in vector problems?

Free and dummy indices are used in vector problems to represent the components of a vector and to perform calculations involving vectors. Free indices are used to represent the different directions in which a vector can point, while dummy indices are used to sum over all possible directions.

What is the purpose of using dummy indices in vector problems?

The purpose of using dummy indices in vector problems is to simplify calculations. By using dummy indices, complex vector operations such as dot products and cross products can be represented in a concise and efficient manner.