1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Problem. Free and dummy indices?

1. Oct 3, 2011 #1
    (ABC)ij =Xk Xl AikBklClj where x is the sum of

In the above equation which are the dummy indices and which are the free indices?

I think i and j are free, and k and l are dummy. But im not surre!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2011 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

That's right.

4. Oct 4, 2011 #3
    The above is a system of equations. I dont know how many it holds though. Is it 3? How do i show this?

5. Oct 4, 2011 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You have one equation for each possible combination of the free indices, e.g. i=1, j=1; i=2, j=1; etc. How many does that give you?

6. Oct 6, 2011 #5
    Thankyou vela I see now! Ive got one last question:What are the ranges of summation over k and l?

7. Oct 6, 2011 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It is impossible to answer that, just as it is impossible to say exactly how many equations that represents, without knowing the dimension of the problem. If two dimensional, all indices range from 1 to 2, if three dimensional, from 1 to 3. If four dimensional, from 1 to 4, etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook