Vector Problem involving Cartesian plane

In summary: I appreciate it!In summary, the problem involves finding the speed of particle 1 with respect to particle 2 at 4.00 s. Both particles have constant accelerations in the x and y directions and were at rest at the origin at t=0 s. The solution involves using the equations v=v_0+at for both directions and finding the resultant speed using the Pythagorean theorem. Another approach is to use the distance formula and take the derivative to find the rate of change of the distance. Both methods result in a speed of approximately 31.2 m/s.
proster
My main issue is trying to understand the question being asked (is it asking for the magnitude of the resultant vector for speed?)

Homework Statement

Particle 1 is moving on the x-axis with an
acceleration of 5.00 m/s^2 in the positive x-
direction. Particle 2 is moving on the y-
axis with an acceleration of 6.00 m/s^2 in the
negative y-direction. Both particles were at
rest at the origin at t = 0 s.
Find the speed of particle 1 with respect to particle 2 at 4.00 s. Answer in m/s.

Homework Equations

I know that this is a problem involving constant acceleration so:
[tex]v = v_0 + a t[/tex] One for the x direction and one for the y direction.

The Attempt at a Solution

So V0x and V0y are both 0. Then, Vxf=(5m/s^2)(4s)=20 m/s and Vyf=(-6m/s^2)(4s)=-24 m/s. Now the problem is whether the problem wants me to find the resultant speed (the wording is somewhat confusing for me). If so, then sqrt(20^2+(-24)^2)) or about 31.2 m/s. If not, I have no idea. I'd appreciate if someone could let me know if I'm on the right track. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi proster, welcome to PF.

If x is the distance traveled by particle 1 along x-axis and y is the distance traveled by the particle 2 along the y-axis, then

x^2 + y^2 = R^2.

By taking the derivative you get

2x*dx/dt + 2y*dy/dt = 2R*dR/dt...(1)

x = 1/2*a(x)t^2 and dx/dt = V(x) = at.

y = 1/2*a(y)t^2 and dy/dt = V(y) = at.

R^2 = x^2 + y^2 So R = sqrt(x^2 + y^2)

Substitute these values in eq.(1) and find dR/dt.

Thanks a lot! I got the same answer as the way I did it the first time, but it's definitely an interesting way of thinking about the problem.

1. What is a vector in the Cartesian plane?

A vector in the Cartesian plane is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It can be represented by an arrow starting from the origin and pointing to a specific point in the plane.

2. How do you find the magnitude of a vector in the Cartesian plane?

The magnitude of a vector is found by using the Pythagorean theorem, where the length of the vector is the hypotenuse of a right triangle formed by the x and y components of the vector.

3. How do you add or subtract vectors in the Cartesian plane?

To add or subtract vectors in the Cartesian plane, you must first resolve them into their x and y components. Then, add or subtract the components separately to get the resultant vector.

4. What is the importance of using vectors in the Cartesian plane?

Vectors in the Cartesian plane are important in representing physical quantities such as displacement, velocity, and force. They also allow for the analysis of motion and forces in multiple dimensions.

5. How do you represent a vector in the Cartesian plane graphically?

A vector in the Cartesian plane can be represented graphically by drawing an arrow from the origin to the desired point, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude of the vector and the direction of the arrow indicating its direction.