Solving a Directional Speed Problem: Need Help!

• Thread starter Bryanaam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed
In summary, by doubling the original vectors, the resulting velocity would be (9.6 mph in South; 7.2 mph in East). However, it is unclear what the problem is asking for exactly.
Bryanaam

Homework Statement

A person is traveling (4.8 mph and 3.6 mph) in a South and East direction. If the person doubles speed in same directions what is the answer.. I have no idea how to solve this problem. Can i just multiply both vectors by 2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

4.8 x 2 = 9.6 mph
3.6 x 2 = 7.2mph

Would the Soulution be 9.6mph and 7.2 mph .. I don't know Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure what answer they are looking for based on the given problem as you state it, but I would surmise that they want to know the velocity (that is, speed and direction) of the two vectors combined.

The answer would be in this format ( X speed in South; X speed in East)

Welcome to PF!

Bryanaam said:
A person is traveling (4.8 mph and 3.6 mph) in a South and East direction. If the person doubles speed in same directions what is the answer.. I have no idea how to solve this problem. Can i just multiply both vectors by 2

Hi Bryanaam! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Yes … if a vector is doubled, then its components are doubled.

(This is because vectors are from vector spaces, and every vector space has scalars (ordinary numbers, in this case), and they obey the distributive law, eg 2(A.B) = (2A).B )

1. What are the steps involved in solving a directional speed problem?

The steps involved in solving a directional speed problem are:
1. Understand the given information and identify what is being asked in the problem.
2. Determine the direction and speed of the objects involved in the problem.
3. Choose a frame of reference to use for the problem.
4. Apply the relevant formulas for solving the problem, such as the distance formula or the speed formula.
5. Double-check your calculations and make sure your answer makes sense in the context of the problem.

2. What is a frame of reference and why is it important in solving directional speed problems?

A frame of reference is a specific point or object that is used as a reference point for measuring the position, motion, or speed of other objects. It is important in solving directional speed problems because it helps to establish a consistent perspective and avoids confusion when dealing with multiple moving objects.

3. How do you calculate the speed of an object in a given direction?

To calculate the speed of an object in a given direction, you can use the formula:
Speed = Distance / Time.
Make sure to convert the units of distance and time to be consistent (e.g. if distance is given in meters and time in seconds, speed will be in meters per second).

4. Can you solve a directional speed problem without knowing the exact direction of an object?

Yes, you can still solve a directional speed problem without knowing the exact direction of an object. In this case, you would need to use the Pythagorean theorem to find the total distance traveled by the object, and then use the total distance and time to calculate its speed.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving directional speed problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving directional speed problems are:
- Forgetting to convert units of distance and time to be consistent
- Using the wrong formula or applying it incorrectly
- Not taking into account the direction of movement
- Not considering the frame of reference
- Rounding off too early in the calculations
It is important to pay attention to detail and double-check your work to avoid these mistakes.