Vector Rotation About Arbitrary Axis

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter MD Aminuzzaman
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Axis Rotation Vector
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 2K views
MD Aminuzzaman
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
I am new to this forum. I was reading this document :
http://math.kennesaw.edu/~plaval/math4490/rotgen.pdf

Here the author says that from this figure
http://i.stack.imgur.com/KBw9l.png

that we can express $v_{\perp}$ like this :
$$T (v_{\perp}) = \cos(\theta) v_{\perp} + \sin(\theta) w$$

I don't understand this part. Can anybody explain how $$T(v_{\perp}) $$ is $$\cos(\theta) v_{\perp} + \sin(\theta) w$$?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't this obvious from the figure? I see no problem at all.

Although what should be a circle looks like an ellipse in the figure I see on my computer. Could be something wrong with the graphics the author used. Anyway, if you also see an ellipse, think of it as a circle!
 
Why we are experessing the Vector as addition of cos(θ)v⊥ and sin(θ)w ? Is it the result of 2 vector addition like Vab = Va + Vb?
 
Is your question why it is correct to do this, or what is the use of doing this?
 
Don't you know how to add vectors geometrically, with the parallellgram law?

Here we are studying a linear tranformation which rotates every vector in the plane perpendicular to the rotation axis by the angle ##\theta## about that axis. Then ##v_\perp## is mapped to ##T(v_\perp)## in the figure. And ##v_\perp## and ##w## are perpendicular unit vectors in this plane, so we obtain the relation stated.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: MD Aminuzzaman
Thanks now i understood. Sorry sometimes i am dumb and gets confused with simpler things.
 
MD Aminuzzaman said:
Thanks now i understood. Sorry sometimes i am dumb and gets confused with simpler things.
No problem, you're very welcome! We all get confused sometimes.