Vector Spaces and polynomial functions

In summary, the conversation discusses a question from a textbook about proving that the set of polynomial functions of degree 2 is not closed under addition or scalar multiplication, making it not a vector space. The confusion arises from the fact that polynomials of degree less than or equal to 2 do form a vector space, but when limited to only degree 2 polynomials, the set is no longer closed under addition. The conversation also explores the concept of the additive zero element and negative elements in a vector space, and ultimately comes to a better understanding of the problem.
endfx
I'm really confused about a question I came across in my textbook.
It basically says this:

Consider the set of polynomial functions of degree 2. Prove that this set is not closed under addition or scalar multiplication (and therefore not a vectorspace).
I'm confused because I think it is closed under addition and scalar mult.
example:

f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c
g(x) = dx^2 + ex + f
(f+g)(x) = (a+d)x^2 + (b+e)x + (c+f)

(sf)(x) = (sa)x^2 + (sb)x + sc

both results should be in the set of polynomial functions of degree 2.
Why would the question say it is not closed under addition and scalar mult. ??
Am I missing something very basic here, or could it be a trick question or something?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The set of polynomials of degree less than or equal to 2 is a vector space. If you only have polynomials of degree 2, this is no longer true.

I'm not sure I understand why this is.
So then the set of functions is only: ax^2
Is this what you mean? If it is, I'm still not sure why the set wouldn't be closed under addition and scalar mult. :

f(x) = ax^2
g(x) = bx^2
(f+g)(x) = (a+b)x^2
(sf)(x) = (sa)x^2

{where s is a scalar; a and b are coefficients)

I'm not sure what I'm missing in this problem. :(

And thanks for the quick reply master_coda

-Confused

x^2 + (-x^2) is not a degree 2 polynomial.

no but x^2 + (-x^2) = 0
0 is in the vector set.

then what is the additive zero element of your set?

I'm not sure what you mean by additive zero element.

And just so I'm clear, is 2x^2, for example, a degree 2 polynomial that would be in the set that the above question is asking?
i.e. degree 2 polynomials can still have coefficients, right?

every vector space must contain an element denoted O or 0 such that for all vectors u, u+O=O+u=u.

Oh, yeah, I get what you mean now.
Wouldn't the additive zero element be 0^2?

what's the degree of 0^2=0?

I'm sorry. But I don't see the point your trying to get across here.

f(x) = ax^2
g(x) = bx^2
(f+g)(x) = (a+b)x^2
(sf)(x) = (sa)x^2

Why doesn't this show that its closed under addition and scalar mult?

when you said:

"x^2 + (-x^2) is not a degree 2 polynomial."

doesn't that support the following axiom:
"For every element u of V, there exists an element called the negative of u, denoted -u, such that u + (-u) = 0."
(This is one of the axioms from my text that needs to be satisfied in order for something to be a vector space)

Which further supports why I think this is a vector space.
Thanks for the hints so far, but don't seem to be grasping why this isn't a vector space. :(

The set of polynomials of degree less than or equal to 2 is a vector space. If you only have polynomials of degree 2, this is no longer true.

I'm not sure I understand why this is.

If I'm understanding this correctly...

First, you must realize that (for example) x + 1 is not a member of the set of second degree polynomials. It is however an element of the set of polynomials of degree <= 2. This is crucial.

Now, add two polynomials of degree 2. Can you say with certainty that this sum will also be a polynomial of degree 2 (unless you place certain restrictions on the coefficients)? No, consider (x^2 + 3x + 1) + (-x^2 + x + 3) = 4x + 4, which is a polyonomial of degree 1. Hence the set of second degree polynomials is not closed under addition.

However, you /can/ say that the sum of two second degree polynomials will be /a/ polynomial, and that its degree will be at most 2, hence the set of polyonomials of degree <= 2 is closed under addition (and is a vector space).

Last edited:
And to REALLY get home something that you need ton understand: 0 is a constant polynomial, it has degree 0, as do all the polys f(x)=constant. How did you arrive at 0^2? Or if you like write down a polynomial in x with a non zero x^2 coeff that when added to every other polynomial leaves it unchanged.

Originally posted by endfx
"x^2 + (-x^2) is not a degree 2 polynomial."

doesn't that support the following axiom:
"For every element u of V, there exists an element called the negative of u, denoted -u, such that u + (-u) = 0."
(This is one of the axioms from my text that needs to be satisfied in order for something to be a vector space)

In order for you to use that axiom, you need to assume the set of degree 2 polynomials is a vector space. Since the set of degree 2 polynomials has no zero element, it is clearly not a vector space.

Thus you cannot draw any valid conclusions by assuming that it is a vector space, since that would be a false assumption.

f(x) = ax^2
g(x) = bx^2
(f+g)(x) = (a+b)x^2
(sf)(x) = (sa)x^2

Why doesn't this show that its closed under addition and scalar mult?

Because (a+b)x^2 isn't always a degree 2 polynomial.

Thanks very much to everyone who posted to my questions. Everybody's reply helped be understand and solve the problem.
Thanks again, I really appreciate it!

1. What is a vector space?

A vector space is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of objects called vectors, along with two operations - vector addition and scalar multiplication. These operations follow specific rules and allow for the manipulation and combination of vectors.

2. How do you define a polynomial function?

A polynomial function is a function that can be written in the form f(x) = anxn + an-1xn-1 + ... + a1x + a0, where an, an-1, ..., a1, a0 are constants and n is a non-negative integer. It is a function that contains only non-negative integer powers of x.

3. What is the dimension of a vector space?

The dimension of a vector space is the number of vectors in a basis for that space. A basis is a set of vectors that can be used to represent any vector in the space through linear combinations. The dimension can also be thought of as the minimum number of vectors needed to span the entire vector space.

4. How do you add and multiply vectors in a vector space?

In a vector space, vectors can be added by adding their corresponding components. For example, in a 2D vector space, (a,b) + (c,d) = (a+c, b+d). Vectors can be multiplied by scalars by multiplying each component of the vector by the scalar. For example, k(a,b) = (ka, kb). These operations must follow certain rules, such as commutativity and associativity, to maintain the properties of a vector space.

5. What is the relationship between vector spaces and polynomial functions?

Polynomial functions can be thought of as vectors in a vector space, where the coefficients of the polynomial are the components of the vector. The operations of polynomial addition and scalar multiplication follow the same rules as vector addition and scalar multiplication, making polynomial functions a type of vector in their own right. Additionally, the set of all polynomial functions with coefficients from a certain field (such as real numbers) can form a vector space.