Vector spaces, closed under addition

In summary, the problem involves a set S of 2x2 matrices with a determinant of zero. The question asks for an explicit example showing that S is not closed under matrix addition. An example can be found by adding two matrices, each with a determinant of zero, and observing that the resulting matrix does not have a determinant of zero. This illustrates that S is not closed under matrix addition.
bakin

Homework Statement

Let
S={A (element) M2(R) : det(A) = 0}

(b) Give an explicit example illustrating that S is not closed under matrix addition.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1) I think that the problem is saying S is a set of 2x2 matrices, whose determinant is zero?

2) I'm also not exactly sure what it means by "explicit example". What I put down was this:

5rbb7.jpg

Is this the right way of approaching it? det(a) is zero, det(b) is zero, so they are members of S. But, adding a and b together gives a new matrix that doesn't have a determinant of zero.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that's exactly what they were asking for.

Pulled through once again, Dick. Thanks for the clarification! :smile:

FAQ: Vector spaces, closed under addition

1. What is a vector space?

A vector space is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of objects, called vectors, and a set of operations, called addition and scalar multiplication, that satisfy certain properties. These properties include closure under addition and scalar multiplication, as well as associativity, commutativity, and distributivity.

2. What does it mean for a vector space to be closed under addition?

A vector space is said to be closed under addition if the sum of any two vectors in the space is also in the space. In other words, when two vectors are added together, the resulting vector is still within the same vector space.

3. How do you determine if a set of vectors forms a vector space that is closed under addition?

To determine if a set of vectors forms a vector space that is closed under addition, you must check if the vectors satisfy the properties of a vector space. This includes checking if the set is closed under addition, scalar multiplication, and if the operations of addition and scalar multiplication follow the appropriate properties.

4. Can a vector space be closed under addition but not scalar multiplication?

No, a vector space must be closed under both addition and scalar multiplication. If a vector space is closed under addition but not scalar multiplication, it does not satisfy all the properties of a vector space and is therefore not considered a vector space.

5. What are some real-world examples of vector spaces that are closed under addition?

Some real-world examples of vector spaces that are closed under addition include the set of all 2D vectors, the set of all polynomials of degree n, and the set of all continuous functions on a given interval. In these examples, adding two vectors, polynomials, or functions together will result in another vector, polynomial, or function within the same space.

Back