Vector Squared: Solving for c in (a + b)^2 = c with Vectors

• Thread starter MadMax
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the conversation discusses the equation (a + b)^2 = c, where a and b are vectors, and whether c is equal to a^2 + 2(a . b) + b^2 or a^2 + b^2 + 2ab. The motivation behind considering the former is that q^2 = q.q, while the motivation behind considering the latter is that it doesn't matter if q is a vector or not. The conversation also mentions that the a and b in the equation should be a dot product, and that c can also be represented as (a + b)^2 = [a|^2 + |b|^2 + 2|a|*|b|cos(w).
MadMax
If I have (a + b)^2 = c, where a and b are vectors, is c = a^2 + 2(a . b) + b^2, or simply is c=a^2 +b^2 + 2ab?

My motivation behind considering the former is that q^2 = q.q, however my motivation behind considering the latter is that if I have q^2=c then it does not matter whether q ia a vector or not, c is the same...

:/

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes the a b should be dot product.

|a|*|b|cos(w) w is angle between a and b.

so: c = (a + b) ^2 = [a|^2 + |b|^2 + 2|a|*|b|cos(w)

thanks malawi :)

Last edited:
np good luck!

ps. this is not a home work question in "Advanced physics" , but in precalclus maths hehe

Oh yeah you are right, sorry about that. I didn't realize there was such a section in the forums :) thanks for the heads up.

Related to Vector Squared: Solving for c in (a + b)^2 = c with Vectors

What is "Vector squared"?

"Vector squared" refers to the mathematical operation of taking a vector and multiplying it by itself. This results in a new vector with a magnitude equal to the original vector squared.

How is "Vector squared" denoted?

The notation for "Vector squared" is typically written as v2 or v², where v is the original vector.

What is the significance of "Vector squared" in physics?

"Vector squared" is often used in physics to calculate the kinetic energy of an object. The magnitude of a vector squared represents the square of the object's speed, which is a crucial component in the kinetic energy formula.

Can "Vector squared" be used with any type of vector?

Yes, "Vector squared" can be applied to any type of vector, including those with both magnitude and direction, such as velocity, acceleration, and force vectors.

Does "Vector squared" have any other applications?

Yes, "Vector squared" can also be used in geometry to calculate the area of a parallelogram. The magnitude of a cross product between two vectors represents the area of the parallelogram formed by those vectors.