Vectors and Parametric Equations

In summary, the vector and parametric equations for the line through points A(-1,2,1) and B(1,2,1) are <x,y,z>=(-1,2,1)+t(2,0,0) and x=-1+2t, y=2, z=1. The direction vector can be either AB or BA and the choice of coordinates (A or B) only determines the starting point, but the equations still represent the same line.
Cudi1

Homework Statement

write the vector equation and parametric equation of the line through A(-1,2,1) and B(1,2,1)

Basically I was wondering If i found AB or BA would it be equivalent?

Homework Equations

AB= OB-OA= (1,2,1)-(-1,2,1) = (2,0,0)
BA= OA-OB= (-1,2,1)- (1,2,1) = (-2,0,0)

thus , (x,y,z)= (-1,2,1)+ t(2,0,0)
x=-1+2t
y=2
z=1

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved it at the top but found that AB=-BA, is that correct, and if i wanted to find b/w 2 points would AB=-BA ( as the questions I've dealt with this seems true?)

Physics news on Phys.org
Both parameterizations are correct. Once you have any point P on the line and any direction vector D then <x,y,z> = P + tD is a parameterization. So you could start at either point on the line and take any multiple of your direction vector and that would be correct. The only difference between the parameterizations is where they start and for which value of t there are "where".

okay, i think i get it so the only difference is that it is a scalar mutilple of -1?
thanks for the help

If you think of the parameter t as "time" you can think of moving along the line. Using AB rather than BA changes the direction in which you are moving but you are still on the same line. Also, you have a choice of using the coordinates of A or B in your formula (you have x= -1+ 2t, y= 2, z= 1 so you chose to use A= (-1, 2, 1)). That choice determines only where you "start" but still gives the same line.

1. What are vectors?

Vectors are mathematical objects that represent both magnitude (size) and direction. They are commonly used in physics, engineering, and mathematics to describe quantities such as displacement, velocity, and force.

2. How do you perform vector addition and subtraction?

To add or subtract vectors, you simply add or subtract the corresponding components of the vectors. For example, if vector A has components (a1, a2) and vector B has components (b1, b2), the result of A + B will have components (a1 + b1, a2 + b2). Similarly, A - B will have components (a1 - b1, a2 - b2).

3. What are parametric equations?

Parametric equations are a way of representing a curve or surface in terms of one or more parameters. These equations are typically written in the form of x = f(t) and y = g(t), where x and y are the coordinates of a point on the curve and t is the parameter.

4. How do you convert parametric equations into Cartesian equations?

To convert parametric equations into Cartesian equations, you can eliminate the parameter by solving for it in one of the equations and substituting that value into the other equation. This will give you a single equation in terms of x and y, which is the Cartesian equation for the curve.

5. What is the relationship between vectors and parametric equations?

Vectors and parametric equations are closely related as they both involve representing mathematical objects in terms of parameters. Vectors can also be used to describe the direction and magnitude of a curve or surface defined by parametric equations. Additionally, vector operations such as addition and subtraction can be used to manipulate parametric equations and study their properties.