How Can the Net Force Be 10 N with Forces of 4 N and 10 N?

In summary, the net force acting on the object can be 10 N due to the angles at which the forces are applied. However, the net force cannot be more than 14 N because of the values of the individual forces. To achieve a net force of 14 N, the forces must be working together at the same angle. The process of resolving vectors into their horizontal and vertical components can determine the exact angle needed to achieve a net force of 10 N. The law of cosines can also be used to calculate the net force in this scenario.
jaded18
Two forces, of magnitude 4 N and 10 N, are applied to an object. The relative direction of the forces is unknown. The net force acting on the object __________.
_____
can anyone please explain to me why the net force can be 10 N ?? thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Net force can be 10 N because of the angles at which the forces are applied.

You can see because of the values 4 and 10 that the net force cannot be more than 14.

Secondly, the net force of 14 can only be achieved if the forces are working together at the SAME angle. If the angle difference is little off the net result will decrease because they begin to work against each other slightly.
try on your calculator.

4<130deg+10<30deg that is about ten at 52 degrees.
then try 4<130deg+10<130deg
then try 4<130deg+10<120deg

do you know how to resolve vectors into their x y components?

i know that the net force cannot be more than 14 . my question was how do we get resultant vector to be 10N. do i know how to resolve vectors into the x and y components? care to refresh my memory??

you would need to know the angle of at least one vector.

Each force has an horizontal force component and vertical force component.

Forces which are fully vertical have a horizontal force of 0 and vice versa.

How to resolve them depends on which angle you are using.

Usually it goes Fsintheta = y component, Fcostheta = x component. you have to see your graph though.

ok ,thanks, i went back and reviewed the law of cosines

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude (or size) and direction. It is represented by an arrow with a specific length and direction.

2. How is a vector different from a scalar?

A scalar is a mathematical object that only has magnitude and no direction. It can be represented by a single number. A vector, on the other hand, has both magnitude and direction, making it a more complex mathematical object.

3. What are the different ways to represent a vector?

Vectors can be represented using different notations, such as using coordinates, components, or unit vectors. They can also be represented graphically as arrows.

4. How are vectors used in science?

Vectors are used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and computer science. They are used to represent physical quantities, such as velocity, acceleration, and force, and to analyze and solve complex problems.

5. What is the importance of understanding vectors in science?

Understanding vectors is crucial in science as many physical quantities, such as motion and forces, are described using vectors. By understanding vectors, scientists can accurately model and predict various phenomena in the natural world.