[VECTORS] Got the answer, lack visual understanding

So, whatever direction the line is headed in, the normal vector of the plane is pointed in the opposite direction. So, the dot product of the vector parallel to the line with the normal vector of the plane is zero. In summary, to determine if a line is parallel to a plane, its direction vector must be perpendicular to the plane's normal vector. This can be visualized by looking at a simple example in the xy-plane, where the normal vector is in the z-direction and the parallel vector is in the x-direction, making them perpendicular. This concept can be generalized for any plane and any parallel vector in that plane.
aeromat

Homework Statement

Which of the following lines is parallel to the plane 4x + y - z - 10 = 0?

ii)
x = -3t
y= -5 +2t
z = -10t

This is parallel, I confirmed it.

The Attempt at a Solution

I already know that this line is parallel to the plane.
I know that if that "If this line is parallel to the plane then its direction vector must be perpendicular to the plane's normal vector". But I don't see how this is true visually. I drew it out and I still don't understand why that condition must be met

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you asking for help visualizing the statement you have in quotations?

Think of something simple such as the xy-plane. Let's say you have a vector that's simply (1,0,0), so some unit vector pointing in the x-direction. Obviously it's parallel to the xy-plane right? Next you want to think about what the plane's normal vector is. Well, the xy-plane's normal vector must point in the z-direction. So your normal vector points in the z-direction (that is, a vector like (0,0,1) ), the parallel to the plane vector (1,0,0) points in the x-direction. So hopefully it's fairly obvious that those two vectors are perpendicular.

You can generalize it a little bit and say you don't need something in the x-direction alone. Any vector with no z-component will be perpendicular to that normal vector who only has a z-component.

I understand better now, thank you. And yes, the visualization was for the post-message in quotations.

Any vector that is in the plane is certainly perpendicular to the normal vector.

And any line that is parallel to the plane is parallel to a vector in the plane.

What are vectors?

Vectors are mathematical objects that have both magnitude and direction. They are often represented as arrows in two or three dimensions.

What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a quantity that has only magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. Examples of scalars include temperature, mass, and time, while examples of vectors include displacement, velocity, and force.

How do you add or subtract vectors?

To add or subtract vectors, you can use the parallelogram method or the head-to-tail method. In the parallelogram method, you draw the vectors as sides of a parallelogram and the resultant vector is the diagonal of the parallelogram. In the head-to-tail method, you draw the vectors head-to-tail and the resultant vector is the vector connecting the tail of the first vector to the head of the last vector.

What is the dot product of two vectors?

The dot product of two vectors is a scalar quantity that is calculated by multiplying the magnitudes of the vectors and the cosine of the angle between them. It is used to determine the angle between two vectors, the projection of one vector onto another, and the work done by a force in a certain direction.

How do vectors relate to real-world situations?

Vectors are used to represent physical quantities that have both magnitude and direction, such as forces, velocities, and displacements. They are also used in many scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics, to model and solve real-world problems.