How to Find a Vector Passing Through Two Points with Equal Magnitude?

In summary, to find a vector with the same magnitude as vector P, which passes through the points (1,1,1) and (3,4,5), one can simply subtract the coordinates of the two points to get the direction of the vector and then scale it to the desired magnitude using the formula sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2). This may seem daunting in three dimensions, but it is actually a simple process.
AlchemistK

Homework Statement

|Vp| = [tex]\sqrt{}3[/tex]

Find a vector which is passing through (1,1,1) and (3,4,5) whose magnitude is equal to vector P.

I have started studying vectors, and know the vector algebra rules, thought i do not understand the use of coordinates in order to find the direction.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org

AlchemistK said:

Homework Statement

|Vp| = [tex]\sqrt{}3[/tex]

Find a vector which is passing through (1,1,1) and (3,4,5) whose magnitude is equal to vector P.

I have started studying vectors, and know the vector algebra rules, thought i do not understand the use of coordinates in order to find the direction.

Thank you.

Certainly you can think of (1,1,1) as the start of your vector, then (3,4,5) as the end of your vector...thus subtraction yields a vector that passes through both points, just with a certain magnitude.

The magnitude of a vector is given as sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2)...you can find that you won't get a magnitude of sqrt(3) right away...think of a way you can "scale" the vector to make it the right magnitude...

Thanks. I figured out the answer and in fact it was quite easy, i just started thinking a lot ,the question being in three dimensions, and hence veered away from the actual solution.

What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is usually represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector with a length proportional to its magnitude.

How do you add vectors?

To add vectors, you can use the parallelogram rule or the triangle rule. In the parallelogram rule, you draw the two vectors as adjacent sides of a parallelogram and the diagonal of the parallelogram represents the sum of the two vectors. In the triangle rule, you draw the two vectors as two sides of a triangle and the third side represents the sum of the two vectors.

What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a quantity that has only magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. For example, a speed is a scalar quantity, but velocity (speed with direction) is a vector quantity.

How do you find the magnitude and direction of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector can be found by using the Pythagorean theorem to calculate the length of the vector. The direction of a vector can be found by using trigonometric functions, such as tangent or sine, to determine the angle between the vector and a reference axis.

What are some real-life applications of vectors?

Vectors are used in many fields, such as physics, engineering, and navigation. They are used to represent forces, velocities, and displacements, and are essential in understanding the motion of objects. Vectors are also used in computer graphics to create 3D images and animations.