Vectors Homework Help: Find Degree

In summary, you need to setup a system of two equations with two unknowns in order to find the resultant force.
lwin
Homework Statement
Can’t seems to find the "°"
Relevant Equations
Fx=Fcos”°”
Fy=Fsin”°”
Resultant = Squareroot(Sum of Fx)^2+(Sum of Fy)^2
Can’t seems to find the degree

Attachments

• 70E163E9-1CE5-424C-BDCF-60C3A2BCEF55.jpeg
    70E163E9-1CE5-424C-BDCF-60C3A2BCEF55.jpeg
    54.3 KB · Views: 176
Physics news on Phys.org
According to the diagram, there are 3 forces acting. What should you to do with them to get the resultant force?
Hint: Try to setup a system of two equations with two unknowns.

lomidrevo said:
According to the diagram, there are 3 forces acting. What should you to do with them to get the resultant force?
Already did that

lomidrevo said:

These 2 equations are "written on" x & y axises

y axis:
750 cos(41) = 390 sin(35) + p cos(θ)

x axis:
>>you write this similarly<<P.S.
you may need to know that:
if,
cos(θ) = k
Then,
θ = arccos(k)

EEristavi said:
These 2 equations are "written on" x & y axises

y axis:
750 cos(41) = 390 sin(35) + p cos(θ)

x axis:
>>you write this similarly<<P.S.
you may need to know that:
if,
cos(θ) = k
Then,
θ = arccos(k)
I will try it later, thanks :’)

Likes EEristavi
lwin said:
Problem Statement: Can’t seems to find the "°"
Relevant Equations: Fx=Fcos”°”
Fy=Fsin”°”
Resultant = Squareroot(Sum of Fx)^2+(Sum of Fy)^2

Can’t seems to find the degree
Hi @lwin,

Welcome to Physics Forums.

In future, please make sure that the full problem is described in the Problem Statement section rather than the Attempt at Solution section.

Photos of a computer screen are not the best way include images. A better method would be to use a snipping tool to capture the relevant portion of the screen and then pasting the result into the post. Windows has a snipping tool odly enough called "Snipping Tool" :smile:

gneill said:
Hi @lwin,

Welcome to Physics Forums.

In future, please make sure that the full problem is described in the Problem Statement section rather than the Attempt at Solution section.

Photos of a computer screen are not the best way include images. A better method would be to use a snipping tool to capture the relevant portion of the screen and then pasting the result into the post. Windows has a snipping tool odly enough called "Snipping Tool" :smile:
Alright I will take note. It is my first time posting so do forgive me.

lwin said:
Alright I will take note. It is my first time posting so do forgive me.
No worries. Again, welcome!

@lwin, only now I noticed that it was your first post - welcome to PF!

One more hint for you: when solving the two equations for ##P## and ##\theta##, this equation might come handy:
$$\cos^2 \theta + \sin^2 \theta = 1$$

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is represented by an arrow, where the length of the arrow is proportional to the magnitude and the direction of the arrow represents the direction.

2. How do you find the degree of a vector?

To find the degree of a vector, you can use trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. You will need to know the x and y components of the vector, which can be found using the Pythagorean theorem and basic geometry. The degree of the vector can then be calculated using the inverse trigonometric functions.

3. What are the different types of vectors?

There are several types of vectors, including displacement vectors, velocity vectors, and acceleration vectors. There are also unit vectors, which have a magnitude of 1 and are used for direction, and null vectors, which have a magnitude of 0 and represent a point in space.

4. How do you add or subtract vectors?

To add or subtract vectors, you can use the head-to-tail method. This involves placing the tail of one vector at the head of the other vector. The sum or difference of the two vectors is then the vector that starts at the tail of the first vector and ends at the head of the second vector.

5. What are some real-world applications of vectors?

Vectors have many real-world applications, including navigation and GPS systems, physics and engineering problems, and computer graphics and animation. They are also used in sports, such as calculating the velocity and trajectory of a ball in motion.