How do we find scalar coefficients for a linear combination in linear algebra?

In summary, the conversation is about expressing a vector u as a linear combination of two given vectors, v and w. The solution involves determining the values of the scalar coefficients, c_{1} and c_{2}, by solving a system of equations with two unknowns.
roam
Hello!
I have just started studying linear algebra and I got the following question:

We have:
http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/7687/dfdsf1lj3.gif

Expres u as a linear combination of the vectors v and w.

This is my attempt;
(By definition a vector is called a linear combination of [tex]v_{1}, v_{2},... v_{k}[/tex] if it can be expressed in form [tex]c_{1}v_{1}, c_{2}v_{2},... c_{k}v_{k}[/tex] )

So we get: [tex]c_{1} (4,3,2,1) + c_{2} (1,1,1,1) [/tex]

Is this right? Is this all we were required to show?

Thanks you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You would also need to determine the values of the scalar coefficients.

Last edited:
How do we find the values of the scalar coefficients i.e., [tex]c_{1} , c_{2}[/tex]? Thant's my problem... :confused:

Thanks.

roam said:
How do we find the values of the scalar coefficients i.e., [tex]c_{1} , c_{2}[/tex]? Thant's my problem... :confused:

Thanks.
Well, you have two unknowns which must satsify a system of four equations. Solve.

1. What is a vector in linear algebra?

A vector in linear algebra is a mathematical object that represents a quantity with both magnitude and direction. In other words, it is an arrow in space that has a specific length and direction.

2. How is a vector represented in linear algebra?

In linear algebra, a vector is typically represented as a column or row matrix, with each element representing the magnitude of the vector in a specific direction. For example, a 2-dimensional vector v can be represented as v = [v1, v2].

3. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector in linear algebra?

A scalar is a single numerical value, while a vector is a combination of multiple values. In linear algebra, a scalar can be thought of as a magnitude, while a vector represents both magnitude and direction.

4. How are vectors added and subtracted in linear algebra?

In linear algebra, vectors can be added or subtracted by combining or subtracting their corresponding elements. For example, to add two 2-dimensional vectors v = [v1, v2] and w = [w1, w2], we would simply add the corresponding elements to get the resulting vector v + w = [v1 + w1, v2 + w2].

5. Why are vectors important in linear algebra?

Vectors are important in linear algebra because they allow us to represent and manipulate quantities with both magnitude and direction. They are also crucial in many mathematical and scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics.