Vectors: Proving the value of a•(b x c)

In summary: Yes, that is a logical and sufficient solution. Another way to think about it is that since c is a linear combination of a and b, it is a combination of two vectors in the same plane. Therefore, the cross product of b and c will be perpendicular to both a and c, and since a is perpendicular to both b and c, the dot product of a and (b x c) will be zero. In summary, the value of a•(b x c) is equal to zero because c is a linear combination of a and b, meaning all three vectors lie on the same plane. The
Sandro Romualdez

Homework Statement

Given that vector a = (1, 2, -5), b = (-12, 41, 75) and c = a + 2b, explain why (without doing any calculations whatsoever) the value of a•(b x c) = 0

Homework Equations

No specific equations, as the question asks for the value without making any calculations. This problem mostly takes a knowledge of the properties of vectors, vector addition, the dot product, and the cross product.

The Attempt at a Solution

Using calculations, I could probably manipulate the equation and calculate the values/magnitudes of the vectors and stuff, but since the problem asks for a solution without calculations, it would be pretty futile to try..

I know that for the dot product between two vectors to equal zero, the vectors must be perpendicular. The cross product is the vector that is perpendicular to both vectors b and c, but in this case (3D/Three space/R3), aren't there an infinite number of vectors that can be perpendicular to b and c? In that case how would I be able to explain why a•(b x c) is equal to zero?

Likes Merlin3189
Physics news on Phys.org
Sandro Romualdez said:

Homework Statement

Given that vector a = (1, 2, -5), b = (-12, 41, 75) and c = a + 2b, explain why (without doing any calculations whatsoever) the value of a•(b x c) = 0

Homework Equations

No specific equations, as the question asks for the value without making any calculations. This problem mostly takes a knowledge of the properties of vectors, vector addition, the dot product, and the cross product.

Using calculations, I could probably manipulate the equation and calculate the values/magnitudes of the vectors and stuff, but since the problem asks for a solution without calculations, it would be pretty futile to try..

I know that for the dot product between two vectors to equal zero, the vectors must be perpendicular. The cross product is the vector that is perpendicular to both vectors b and c, but in this case (3D/Three space/R3), aren't there an infinite number of vectors that can be perpendicular to b and c? In that case how would I be able to explain why a•(b x c) is equal to zero?
Hello @Sandro Romualdez . Welcome to PF.Does the distributive law hold for either (or both) forms of the product of two vectors?

Likes Sandro Romualdez
Sandro Romualdez said:
Right, especially because the problem says to not do any calculations at all.

Sandro Romualdez said:
@SammyS's hint about the distributive properties for both the dot product and cross product is a good one. A key item in this problem is that c = a + 2b.

The problem directions don't prohibit you from doing algebraic manipulations with the variables -- basically, you can't just plug in the given vectors to calculate the specific dot or cross products.

Likes Sandro Romualdez
SammyS said:
Hello @Sandro Romualdez . Welcome to PF.Does the distributive law hold for either (or both) forms of the product of two vectors?

Thank you, I've been a member of PF for awhile, but for some reason my old account got deleted or something.

What we've discussed in class is that the distributive property of the dot product is that a•(b+c) = a•b + c•a. I'm assuming that can also be applied with the cross product instead of addition? Meaning that a•(b x c) is a•b x c•a = 0. I know that for the cross product to equal zero, the vectors are parallel. Does that show that the vectors are coplanar maybe?

Mark44 said:
@SammyS's hint about the distributive properties for both the dot product and cross product is a good one. A key item in this problem is that c = a + 2b.

With this knowledge, would I be able to state that since c can be expressed as a linear combination of vectors a and b, all three vectors lie on the same plane? Following that, since the cross product is perpendicular to all three vectors, the dot product of a and (b x c) would be zero, following the definition of perpendicular vectors.

Is this a logical/sufficient solution?

Sandro Romualdez said:
With this knowledge, would I be able to state that since c can be expressed as a linear combination of vectors a and b, all three vectors lie on the same plane? Following that, since the cross product is perpendicular to all three vectors, the dot product of a and (b x c) would be zero, following the definition of perpendicular vectors.

Is this a logical/sufficient solution?
This is logical, but it might or might not be sufficient. Personally, I would explain a is perpendicular to b x c, using the given information about c.

Likes Sandro Romualdez
Note: the numbers for a, b don't even matter

Likes Sandro Romualdez
Sandro Romualdez said:
What we've discussed in class is that the distributive property of the dot product is that a•(b+c) = a•b + c•a. I'm assuming that can also be applied with the cross product instead of addition? Meaning that a•(b x c) is a•b x c•a = 0. I know that for the cross product to equal zero, the vectors are parallel. Does that show that the vectors are coplanar maybe?
The highlighted assumption in the quote is false.

My intention was that you express vector, ##\ \vec c\,,\ ## as ##\ \vec a +2\vec b \,,\ ## then take the cross product ##\ \vec b\times ( \,\vec a +2\vec b \,) \,.\ ##

Use the distributive law on that.

Last edited:
Likes Sandro Romualdez
Sandro Romualdez said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

There is a neat trick for this problem. Are you familiar with the method of calculating a cross product like this?
For the cross product of ##\vec b## and ##\vec c##, form a matrix:
##M=\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 1 & 1\\
b_x & b_y & b_z\\
c_x & c_y & c_z
\end{pmatrix}##

If you find the determinant of this matrix using expansion by minors, you get:
##det(M) = 1(b_y c_z - b_z c_y) + 1(b_z c_x - b_x c_y) + 1(b_x c_y - b_y c_x)##

You will notice that the terms in the sum are exactly the elements of ##\vec b \times \vec c##.

Now try the same thing with matrix
##N = \begin{pmatrix}
a_x & a_y & a_z\\
b_x & b_y & b_z\\
c_x & c_y & c_z
\end{pmatrix}##

Finding the determinant in the same way, do you get something related to your problem?
How can you use your knowledge of matrices to get your desired result?

Likes Sandro Romualdez
tnich said:
There is a neat trick for this problem. Are you familiar with the method of calculating a cross product like this?
The OP is expressly forbidden from doing calculations of the sort I think you are leading up to.

Likes Stavros Kiri and Sandro Romualdez
SammyS said:
My intention was that you express vector, ##\ \vec c\,,\ ## as ##\ \vec a +2\vec b \,,\ ## then take the cross product ##\ \vec b\times ( \,\vec a +2\vec b \,) \,.\ ##

Use the distributive law on that.
Using the distributive law, I can manipulate the equation to be:
a • [(b x a) + (b x 2b)]

I can further use the distributive law on this as well? Making it
[a•(b x a)] + [a•(b x 2b)]

Using my knowledge of the dot and cross product, the cross product of b and a will be perpendicular to both vectors. This means that the first term will equal zero, as the dot product of perpendicular vectors is zero. Logically, the second term is also zero as (b x 2b) also results in a vector perpendicular to a. Therefore, since both terms are zero, a•(b x c) = 0.

Is this logical and sufficient? And if so, would there be a more concise way to state this?

tnich said:
There is a neat trick for this problem.
Thanks for your help, and I understand how the determinant can help with this problem. The only limitation from me using this solution though is the fact that I can't use calculations, as Mark44 stated.

Likes Stavros Kiri
Stavros Kiri said:
Note: the numbers for a, b don't even matter
Thanks. The numbers are quite big anyways so I assumed that they weren't too significant, and maybe served as a deterrent from actually calculating

Likes Stavros Kiri
Sandro Romualdez said:
Thanks for your help, and I understand how the determinant can help with this problem. The only limitation from me using this solution though is the fact that I can't use calculations, as Mark44 stated.
You don't know to do calculations for this solution, you only need to know properties of matrices and their determinants. Under what condition would the determinant be zero?

tnich said:
You don't know to do calculations for this solution, you only need to know properties of matrices and their determinants. Under what condition would the determinant be zero?
It's actually a lot simpler than that ...
[But that's one way ...]
Sandro Romualdez said:
Is this logical and sufficient? And if so, would there be a more concise way to state this?
You're on the right track, but one overlook ...

Last edited:
Likes Sandro Romualdez
Sandro Romualdez said:
In addition to the various hints everyone here has tried to lead the OP with, any three random points which are mutually not coinciding and not all situated along a single line uniquely define a plane.

Likes Sandro Romualdez
blue_leaf77 said:
In addition to the various hints everyone here has tried to lead the OP with, any three random points which are mutually not coinciding and not all situated along a single line uniquely define a plane.
In general, that would not a good hint, I think, (although true) because in that case you should use the particular values for the vector coordinates and show that b and c truly define a plane (e.g. by showing that they are not linearly dependent). In any case I think that would involve calculations.

But in this case, your hint works, because you can go around avoiding calculations by examining the two available possibilities (about b and c), and doing them separately ... (What are these 2 possibilities?) ...

[Note: also cf. post #5]

Last edited:
Likes Sandro Romualdez
Sandro Romualdez said:
[a•(b x a)] + [a•(b x 2b)]

Using my knowledge of the dot and cross product, the cross product of b and a will be perpendicular to both vectors. This means that the first term will equal zero, as the dot product of perpendicular vectors is zero. Logically, the second term is also zero as (b x 2b) also results in a vector perpendicular to a.
The vector product of two parallel vectors is zero, so bx2b=0.

Likes Sandro Romualdez, SammyS and Stavros Kiri
tnich said:
For the cross product of ##\vec b## and ##\vec c##, form a matrix:
##M=\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 1 & 1\\
b_x & b_y & b_z\\
c_x & c_y & c_z
\end{pmatrix}##

If you find the determinant of this matrix using expansion by minors, you get:
##det(M) = 1(b_y c_z - b_z c_y) + 1(b_z c_x - b_x c_y) + 1(b_x c_y - b_y c_x)##

You will notice that the terms in the sum are exactly the elements of ##\vec b \times \vec c##.

Now try the same thing with matrix
##N = \begin{pmatrix}
a_x & a_y & a_z\\
b_x & b_y & b_z\\
c_x & c_y & c_z
\end{pmatrix}##

Finding the determinant in the same way, do you get something related to your problem?
How can you use your knowledge of matrices to get your desired result?
What I was hinting at was this:
The problem statement tells us that ##\vec c = \vec a + 2 \vec b##, implying that the vectors are linearly dependent. Then 0 = det(N) = ##\vec a \cdot \vec b \times \vec c##.

Likes Sandro Romualdez and Stavros Kiri
tnich said:
What I was hinting at was this:
The problem statement tells us that ##\vec c = \vec a + 2 \vec b##, implying that the vectors are linearly dependent. Then 0 = det(N) = ##\vec a \cdot( \vec b \times \vec c)##.
That's one way, but/providing he has to know that method and equations first. There is a more direct and (perhaps) simpler way, already underlying almost full in previous posts ...
Note: I added an obvious parenthesis in quoting your post.

Likes Sandro Romualdez
blue_leaf77 said:
any three random points which are mutually not coinciding and not all situated along a single line uniquely define a plane.

Stavros Kiri said:
because in that case you should use the particular values for the vector coordinates and show that b and c truly define a plane (e.g. by showing that they are not linearly dependent).

tnich said:
The problem statement tells us that ##\vec c = \vec a + 2 \vec b##, implying that the vectors are linearly dependent.
Since it is given that ##\vec c = \vec a + 2 \vec b##, then clearly ##\vec c## is a linear combination of ##\vec a## and ##\vec b##, which shows that the three vectors are linearly dependent (and hence lie in the same plane), but these are linear algebra concepts that the OP might not have seen yet.

The solution already posted, using the basic properties of the dot and cross products, is IMO the approach that the author of the problem was looking for.

Likes Sandro Romualdez, blue_leaf77 and Stavros Kiri
Thanks for all the responses, I'll mark the problem as solved since I will just go with the solution using linear combinations and the properties of dot and cross products to prove the equation, since it seems like the simplest solution in terms of what we have studied recently. :smile:

Likes Stavros Kiri

What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It can be represented by an arrow, with the length indicating the magnitude and the direction indicating the direction.

How do you calculate the value of a vector?

The value of a vector can be calculated by multiplying its magnitude by its direction. This can be done using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent.

What is the cross product of two vectors?

The cross product of two vectors is a vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors. It is calculated by taking the magnitude of the first vector, multiplying it by the magnitude of the second vector, and then multiplying it by the sine of the angle between the two vectors.

Why is proving the value of a•(b x c) important?

Proving the value of a•(b x c) is important because it allows us to understand the relationships between different vectors and how they interact with each other. This can be useful in many fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

What are some real-world applications of vector calculations?

Vector calculations have many real-world applications, such as calculating the forces acting on an object, determining the trajectory of a projectile, and programming video games to simulate realistic movements and interactions between objects. They are also used in navigation, robotics, and 3D modeling.