Vectors: why is the cosine of this angle always -1/2?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the angle between two vectors, v and w, given that their components add up to zero. The challenge question explores the geometric and physical interpretations of the equation v.w/|v||w| = -1/2, which relates the dot product of the two vectors to their magnitudes and the cosine of the angle between them.
Lord Anoobis

Homework Statement

Pick any numbers that add to x + y + z = 0. Find the angle between your vector v = (x, y, z) and the vector w = ( z, x, y). Challenge question: explain why v.w/|v||w| is always -1/2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I chose (1, -2, 1) for the first part, which is straightforward. The second bit has me somewhat flummoxed. Using x, y, and z, I get:
(xz + xy + yz)/(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)
I can see that the numerator will always be less than the denominator because either one or two of the components must be negative. The explanation proper eludes me though, and I feel missing something simple here. Please assist me in understanding this one.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is (x+y+z)^2?

Edit: There is also a geometrical interpretation, but we can leave that until you understand why the equality holds.

Orodruin said:
What is (x+y+z)^2?

Edit: There is also a geometrical interpretation, but we can leave that until you understand why the equality holds.
(xz + xy + yz)/(x^2 + y^2 + z^2) = -1/2 as a result of multiplying out the expression, which is equal to zero. I knew it was staring me in the face.

V scalar w /|v| ×| w |= |v| ×| w | cos ß / |v| ×|w| = cos ß
so you should find some kind of relationship between those vector in order to get ß = π -60° / π + 60°
Thats all i can think of.

You need to answer Orodruin's question in post #2. Once you see the answer to this question, you will know what to do next.

chet

I believe the OP has already completed thid problem.

how can we (a) Geometrically and (b) Physically(in real life application) interpret the equation ?

Related to Vectors: why is the cosine of this angle always -1/2?

1. What are vectors and how are they related to angles?

Vectors are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude (size) and direction. They can be represented by arrows in a coordinate system. The angle between two vectors is the measure of the difference in direction between them.

2. Why is the cosine of an angle important in vector calculations?

Cosine is a trigonometric function that relates the side lengths of a right triangle to its angles. In vector calculations, the cosine of an angle is used to determine the component of one vector in the direction of another vector.

3. How is the cosine of an angle between two vectors calculated?

The cosine of an angle between two vectors can be calculated using the dot product formula, where the dot product of two vectors is equal to the product of their magnitudes multiplied by the cosine of the angle between them.

4. Why is the cosine of this angle always -1/2?

The angle between two vectors is always -1/2 when the vectors are perpendicular to each other. This is because perpendicular vectors have a dot product of 0, and the dot product formula reduces to the product of their magnitudes multiplied by the cosine of the angle between them, which is equal to 0.

5. How does the cosine of this angle affect the magnitude of the resultant vector?

The cosine of the angle between two vectors affects the magnitude of the resultant vector by determining the component of one vector in the direction of the other. When the angle is 90 degrees, the resultant vector will have a magnitude of 0, as the cosine of 90 degrees is 0.