Velocity as a function of distance problem

In summary, the problem involves finding the function F(x), x(t), and F(t) for a ball with a varying velocity of v(x) = ax-n. Using the equations F = ma, a = dv/dt, and v = dx/dt, the acceleration can be determined to be -nax-n-1. By integrating a with respect to t, the function x can be found in terms of a, n, and t. The formula for acceleration can also be used to find F(x). However, solving for x in terms of a, n, and t may be challenging.
Slepton

Homework Statement

The velocity of a ball of mass 'm' varies with the distance v(x) = ax-n, where a and n are positive constants.

Determine F(x), x(t) and F(t).

Homework Equations

F = ma
a = dv/dt
v = dx/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

If velocity were the function of time, i would have done it with no problem. I determined the acceleration, which is -nax-n-1.
For v, i integrated 'a' with respect to t. But velocity's dependence in distance confused me. Any help will be highly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a simple way for these.
a=dv/dt. This can be written as a=dx/dt*dv/dx.

v = dx/dt = a*x^-n
So x^n*dx = a*dt.
Find the integration and then find x in terms of a, n and t.
Then d^2(x)/dt^2 will give acceleration in terms of a,n and t. from that you can find F(t)
Acceleration a = dv/dt = dv/dx*dx/dt = dv/dx*v. Then F(x) = ma

Last edited:
To rl.bhat

Thanks. I tried to follow your instruction.
Integration of x^n*dx = a*dt gave me (1/n+1)x^(n+1) = v. I didn't find x in terms of a, n and t.

(1/n+1)x^(n+1) = v.
This should be
(1/n+1)x^(n+1) = at
x^(n+1) =a(n+1)*t
x = ...?

1. What is the formula for velocity as a function of distance?

The formula for velocity as a function of distance is v = d/t, where v is velocity, d is distance, and t is time.

2. How do you solve for velocity as a function of distance?

To solve for velocity as a function of distance, you need to know the distance traveled and the time it took to travel that distance. Then, plug those values into the formula v = d/t and solve for v.

3. Can velocity as a function of distance be negative?

Yes, velocity as a function of distance can be negative. This indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the positive direction used in the calculation.

4. What units are used for velocity and distance in this problem?

Velocity is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) and distance is measured in meters (m). However, other units such as miles per hour (mph) and kilometers (km) can also be used as long as they are consistent throughout the problem.

5. How does changing the distance affect the velocity in this problem?

As the distance increases, the velocity will also increase as long as the time remains constant. This is because the object is covering a greater distance in the same amount of time, resulting in a higher velocity. However, if the time changes, then the velocity will also be affected.