Velocity Map Imaging: Understanding 3D Reconstruction

In summary, velocity map imaging involves the production of ions in a Newton sphere at the interaction point and their projection onto a 2D screen. To reconstruct the 3D information from this image, an inverse-Abel transform is used. However, this method may not always accurately represent the original velocity distribution if it is not symmetric. The use of electrodes can adjust the potential to make the results of photodissociation hit the detector at the same point, but it may not accurately represent the original 3D distribution. The use of a section through the middle of the Newton sphere is claimed to provide the desired answer, but it is not explained why in various papers.
kelly0303
Hello! I am a bit confused about the image reconstruction for velocity map imaging. As far as I understand, at the interaction point, ions are produced in a Newton sphere which gets projected on a 2D screen (such that all the particles with the save velocity get mapped on the same point). What confuses me is the reconstruction of the 3D information from this 2D image. From what I read, one needs to do a transformation equivalent to taking a thin slice through the middle of the Newton sphere (e.g inverse-Abel transform). I am not sure I understand why taking a slice through the middle is enough to understand the velocity distribution of the original 3D sphere. If that original distribution has cylindrical symmetry, it would make sense. But is that always the case? If the distribution is not symmetric, a slice through the middle is not representative, right? Can someone help me understand please? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you help me with a diagram of the apparatus you are describing? Afaik, a "Newton Sphere" behaves according to the Shell Theorem; if it is a conductor then it would not affect the velocity of ions inside it. How does your system separate the ions? How are the ions introduced?

sophiecentaur said:
Could you help me with a diagram of the apparatus you are describing? Afaik, a "Newton Sphere" behaves according to the Shell Theorem; if it is a conductor then it would not affect the velocity of ions inside it. How does your system separate the ions? How are the ions introduced?
Thank you for your reply! Here is a brief introduction and here a more detailed description (there are also many papers in which they built a VMI experimentally, I could suggest some if needed). Basically, by adjusting the potentials between the electrodes, you can make the results of photodissociation (electrons for example) hit the detector at the same point, if they have the same velocity, regardless of where they are produced (assuming the interaction area is not too big, i.e. a few millimeters or less). However in order to reconstruct the original velocity distribution, you need to go from this 2D pattern on the detector to the original 3D one. This can be easily done using an inverse-Abel tranform, but only if the photodissociation products have a cylindrical distribution relative to the place where they were created. This is the case for electrons, but for other ions might not be. So if the original (3D) distribution is not cylindrical, I am not sure I understand why a section to the original Newton sphere (i.e. the expansion of the photodissociation products) still gives the desired answer, as I saw it claimed in several papers, but not explained why. Thank you!

1. What is Velocity Map Imaging (VMI)?

Velocity Map Imaging (VMI) is a technique used to study the three-dimensional (3D) velocity distribution of particles in a gas or liquid. It involves mapping the velocity of particles onto a two-dimensional (2D) image, which can then be reconstructed to obtain the 3D velocity distribution.

2. How does VMI work?

VMI works by using a pulsed laser to ionize particles in a gas or liquid sample. The resulting ions are then accelerated in an electric field and projected onto a detector, creating a 2D image of the velocity distribution. By varying the timing and strength of the electric field, the 3D velocity distribution can be reconstructed.

3. What are the applications of VMI?

VMI has a wide range of applications in areas such as atmospheric and environmental science, combustion research, and astrophysics. It can be used to study the dynamics of chemical reactions, the behavior of particles in plasmas, and the structure of molecular clusters, among others.

4. What are the advantages of VMI compared to other techniques?

VMI offers several advantages over other techniques, including its ability to provide 3D information, high spatial and temporal resolution, and non-invasive nature. It also allows for the study of complex systems with a large number of particles, making it a powerful tool for understanding the dynamics of various processes.

5. What are the challenges of using VMI?

One of the main challenges of VMI is the complexity of the data analysis process. The 3D reconstruction of velocity distributions requires sophisticated algorithms and can be computationally intensive. Additionally, the technique may be limited by the sensitivity of the detector and the accuracy of the electric field used for acceleration.