Velocity of a ball in a new coordinate system.

• Thread starter theBEAST
  • Start date

Homework Statement

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/64325990/velocity%20of%20ball.PNG [Broken]

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking I could just convert from metres to feet but turns out that's not the right answer. Am I suppose to change the coordinate systems so I get a distance vs time graph? I am really clueless about what to do here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

The problem seems to indicate that both systems are already position vs time graphs (aka velocity).

Before worrying about the unit conversion you should determine what velocities are seen by the new coordinate system.

The two things to consider are the origin position and the angle between the axes.

After you do that then convert the units from m/s to ft/s.

The problem seems to indicate that both systems are already position vs time graphs (aka velocity).

Before worrying about the unit conversion you should determine what velocities are seen by the new coordinate system.

The two things to consider are the origin position and the angle between the axes.

After you do that then convert the units from m/s to ft/s.

Alright well here is my attempt. But it is wrong as well :( Does anyone have an idea what I am doing wrong? Thanks!

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/64325990/Photobook/Photo%202012-08-23%202%2056%2026%20PM.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not seeing anything wrong with what you did. I came up with the same answers so I don't know...

I'm not seeing anything wrong with what you did. I came up with the same answers so I don't know...

Hmmm, does anyone else get the same answer that we got?