Velocity of a ball in a new coordinate system.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 1K views
theBEAST
Messages
361
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


https://dl.dropbox.com/u/64325990/velocity%20of%20ball.PNG

The Attempt at a Solution


I was thinking I could just convert from metres to feet but turns out that's not the right answer. Am I suppose to change the coordinate systems so I get a distance vs time graph? I am really clueless about what to do here.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem seems to indicate that both systems are already position vs time graphs (aka velocity).

Before worrying about the unit conversion you should determine what velocities are seen by the new coordinate system.

The two things to consider are the origin position and the angle between the axes.

After you do that then convert the units from m/s to ft/s.
 
The problem seems to indicate that both systems are already position vs time graphs (aka velocity).

Before worrying about the unit conversion you should determine what velocities are seen by the new coordinate system.

The two things to consider are the origin position and the angle between the axes.

After you do that then convert the units from m/s to ft/s.
 
Alright well here is my attempt. But it is wrong as well :( Does anyone have an idea what I am doing wrong? Thanks!

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/64325990/Photobook/Photo%202012-08-23%202%2056%2026%20PM.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not seeing anything wrong with what you did. I came up with the same answers so I don't know...
 
Bhumble said:
I'm not seeing anything wrong with what you did. I came up with the same answers so I don't know...

Hmmm, does anyone else get the same answer that we got?