Velocity of a ball in a new coordinate system.

In summary, the conversation discusses converting between meters and feet for a velocity vs time graph problem. The problem involves determining velocities in a new coordinate system, taking into account the origin position and the angle between the axes. Both individuals seem to have arrived at the same answers, but are unsure if they are correct.
theBEAST

Homework Statement

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/64325990/velocity%20of%20ball.PNG

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking I could just convert from metres to feet but turns out that's not the right answer. Am I suppose to change the coordinate systems so I get a distance vs time graph? I am really clueless about what to do here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem seems to indicate that both systems are already position vs time graphs (aka velocity).

Before worrying about the unit conversion you should determine what velocities are seen by the new coordinate system.

The two things to consider are the origin position and the angle between the axes.

After you do that then convert the units from m/s to ft/s.

The problem seems to indicate that both systems are already position vs time graphs (aka velocity).

Before worrying about the unit conversion you should determine what velocities are seen by the new coordinate system.

The two things to consider are the origin position and the angle between the axes.

After you do that then convert the units from m/s to ft/s.

Alright well here is my attempt. But it is wrong as well :( Does anyone have an idea what I am doing wrong? Thanks!

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/64325990/Photobook/Photo%202012-08-23%202%2056%2026%20PM.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not seeing anything wrong with what you did. I came up with the same answers so I don't know...

Bhumble said:
I'm not seeing anything wrong with what you did. I came up with the same answers so I don't know...

Hmmm, does anyone else get the same answer that we got?

1. What is the velocity of a ball in a new coordinate system?

The velocity of a ball in a new coordinate system refers to its speed and direction of movement relative to a specific reference point in a different coordinate system. It is measured in units of distance per unit of time, such as meters per second.

2. How is the velocity of a ball in a new coordinate system calculated?

The velocity of a ball in a new coordinate system can be calculated by dividing the change in its position by the change in time. This is represented by the equation v = Δx/Δt, where v is velocity, Δx is the change in position, and Δt is the change in time.

3. What factors can affect the velocity of a ball in a new coordinate system?

The velocity of a ball in a new coordinate system can be affected by various factors, including the initial velocity, acceleration, direction of movement, and external forces such as friction or gravity.

4. How does the velocity of a ball in a new coordinate system differ from its velocity in the original coordinate system?

The velocity of a ball in a new coordinate system may differ from its velocity in the original coordinate system due to changes in the reference point, direction, or speed of movement. This can be seen in cases where the ball is thrown or kicked from one coordinate system to another.

5. Why is it important to consider the velocity of a ball in a new coordinate system?

Considering the velocity of a ball in a new coordinate system is important because it allows for a better understanding of its movement and can help predict its future position. This is especially useful in scenarios such as sports or physics experiments where precise measurements and predictions are necessary.