1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity of a ball in a new coordinate system.

1. Aug 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/64325990/velocity%20of%20ball.PNG [Broken]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I was thinking I could just convert from metres to feet but turns out that's not the right answer. Am I suppose to change the coordinate systems so I get a distance vs time graph? I am really clueless about what to do here.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2012 #2
    The problem seems to indicate that both systems are already position vs time graphs (aka velocity).

Before worrying about the unit conversion you should determine what velocities are seen by the new coordinate system.

The two things to consider are the origin position and the angle between the axes.

After you do that then convert the units from m/s to ft/s.

4. Aug 23, 2012 #3
    The problem seems to indicate that both systems are already position vs time graphs (aka velocity).

Before worrying about the unit conversion you should determine what velocities are seen by the new coordinate system.

The two things to consider are the origin position and the angle between the axes.

After you do that then convert the units from m/s to ft/s.

5. Aug 23, 2012 #4
    Alright well here is my attempt. But it is wrong as well :( Does anyone have an idea what I am doing wrong? Thanks!

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/64325990/Photobook/Photo%202012-08-23%202%2056%2026%20PM.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  6. Aug 23, 2012 #5
    I'm not seeing anything wrong with what you did. I came up with the same answers so I don't know...

7. Aug 24, 2012 #6
    Hmmm, does anyone else get the same answer that we got?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook