Velocity of Water in a Glass: Exploring the Myth of 0 Velocity at the Top

In summary, the velocity of the water at the top of a glass of water is typically considered to be zero, as the water is confined to the volume and cannot have speed. However, when a hole is made in the bottom of the glass, the flow rate out of the hole will determine the velocity of the top surface. In the case of a small hole, the velocity at the bottom of the glass can be approximated by \sqrt{2gh}, but this only holds true if the velocity at the surface is considered to be zero when applying Bernoulli's equation.
Gyroscope

Homework Statement

What is the velocity of the water at the top of a glass of water? Is it really 0?
For example, there is a lot of problems which asks with what velocity does the water would leave that glass if I make a hole on the bottom. For these, we consider the velocity at the top to be zero. Why is that? Is it approximately zero or really zero? I am thinking now, if it is an incompressible fluid, it must be zero, because if the water is confined to that volume, cannot have speed. Nevertheless, it is clear that the water molecules are randomly moving. Can you clarify my doubts? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
When there is no hole in the bottom of the glass, the velocity of all of the water is zero. When there is a hole suddenly made in the bottom of the glass that goes all the way across (hole diameter = glass diameter), all the water accelerates together down out of the glass, and the velocity of the top surface is the same as the velocity of the bottom surface (ignoring the wetting effects on the walls).

When there is a hole in the bottom that is smaller than the diameter, then the flow rate out the hole will determine how fast the top surface goes down (through volume change calculations).

I had an exercise on my book where I should show that the velocity at the bottom of the glass where there is a small hole is [tex]\sqrt{2gh}[/tex], h is the height of the water level. This is only true, if I consider the velocity at the surface to be zero, when applying Bernoulli's equation. Right?

which it will nearly be if the hole is relatively small.

Related to Velocity of Water in a Glass: Exploring the Myth of 0 Velocity at the Top

1. What is the myth surrounding the velocity of water at the top of a glass?

The myth suggests that the velocity of water at the top of a glass is always zero because the water is level with the rim of the glass.

2. Is there any truth to this myth?

No, this myth is not true.

3. Why is the myth false?

The myth is false because the velocity of water is determined by multiple factors, such as the force of gravity, the height of the water, and the shape of the glass. The level of the water at the top of the glass does not affect its velocity.

4. How can the myth be debunked?

The myth can be debunked by conducting a simple experiment. By pouring water into a glass and measuring the velocity at the top and bottom of the glass, it can be observed that the velocity at the top is not zero.

5. Why is it important to understand the truth about the velocity of water in a glass?

It is important to understand the truth about the velocity of water in a glass because it can help us better understand fluid dynamics and make accurate predictions in various situations, such as plumbing, water distribution, and weather patterns.