Velocity on a hill Kinematics Problem with Dynamics

In summary, the problem involves a competitor sliding down a 500-m long ice track inclined at 20o with an initial speed of 2.0 m/s. The coefficient of dynamic friction is 0.050 and air resistance is neglected. The question asks for the acceleration and speed of the competitor at the bottom. The provided information is not enough to solve the problem using kinematics equations, so Newton's second law must be used to find the net force acting on the sled. The process used by the expert involves separating the two dimensions and using equations involving time, but this may be more complicated than necessary. It is suggested to approach the problem by finding the net force acting on the sled using Newton's second law.
alingy1
In the sport of luge, a competitor slides on a sled down a 500-m long straight ice track inclined at 20o to the horizontal. Her initial speed is 2.0 m s-1. The coefficient of dynamic friction between the sled and the ice is 0.050. Neglect air resistance.

What is her acceleration? What is her speed at the bottom?

Okay, this is weird.

I spent three hours on this. I feel the mass of the competitor is missing.

I separated the two dimensions. Both have non-zero acceleration (because there is a net force that is diagonal to the ice).

I get these equations:
-171=-0.68+1/2(-1.15+0.017/m)t^2
469=1.88t+1/2(3.15-0.047/m)t^2
a=3.35-0.05/m
I can't solve because I get 0=0 on both sides if I try to add the equations.

What am I supposed to do? Please, I have an exam soon.

Physics news on Phys.org
It'd help if you could explain what all those values mean, or write down the equations symbolically first, and also explain what your strategy is with them. I'm having trouble understanding what you're trying to do.

I think your process is more complicated than necessary, though, since your equations involve time, which isn't involved with the acceleration, so those won't be any good. To find the acceleration, it won't involve kinematics since you aren't given enough information in the problem. Try finding it by using Newton's second. What forces act on the sled that add up to the net force?

FAQ: Velocity on a hill Kinematics Problem with Dynamics

What is the formula for calculating velocity on a hill?

The formula for calculating velocity on a hill is v = sqrt(2gh), where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the hill.

How does the angle of the hill affect the velocity?

The angle of the hill affects the velocity because it determines the component of gravity that acts parallel to the slope, which is responsible for accelerating the object down the hill.

What is the difference between velocity and speed?

Velocity is a vector quantity that includes both magnitude and direction, while speed is a scalar quantity that only includes magnitude.

Can you have negative velocity on a hill?

Yes, you can have negative velocity on a hill if the object is moving in the opposite direction of the slope, or if it is slowing down while moving down the hill.

How does friction affect the velocity on a hill?

Friction can decrease the velocity on a hill because it acts against the motion of the object, causing it to slow down. It is important to take friction into account when calculating the velocity on a hill.

Back