1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity Time Graph Clarification and Insight Please

1. Sep 3, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What type of motion is occuring when the slope is changing and the graph is therefore curved on a velocity time graph?

2. Relevant equations

v=(delta)x/(delta)t

A= (delta)v/(delta)t

3. The attempt at a solution

my thought is that when the slope is changing the acceleration is either increasing or decreasing ...

So if I were to have an upward sloping curved v-t graph, this would mean that the average acceleration is increasing with time, while if i were to have a downward sloping v-t graph the average acceleration would be decreasing with time...

and if i had a line (linear) slope on a v-t graph, we would have uniform acceleration...

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2009 #2
    Yep. The slope of a velocity-time graph is acceleration. So if the function is linear ie slope is constant, then acceleration is constant. It the slope isn't constant you have a changing acceleration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook