Solving Velocity-Time Graph Homework: Egg Dropped/Thrown from Bridge

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of matching labelled curves on a velocity-time graph to two given situations involving an egg being dropped and thrown off a bridge. The attempted solution involves identifying the correct curve for each situation based on their respective slopes and initial velocities. The question posed is whether the initial velocity for the second situation is positive or negative and an explanation is requested.
Schrodes2011

Homework Statement

My problem is that I am given a bunch of labelled curves on a velocity-time graph that I have to match up with 2 given situations. The first situation is an egg being dropped from a bridge with no initial velocity. The second situation is an egg being thrown downward off of the bridge.

The Attempt at a Solution

Now, I was able to match up the first situation with the only curve that had a decreasing, linear slope beginning with an initial velocity of 0. For the second situation, it is clear to me that the curve should have a steeper, still negative slope. My problem is that I am not sure whether, in the second situation, the initial velocity is positive or negative. Can someone explain which it is and why it is that?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Schrodes2011, welcome to PF.

Write down the relevant equation used to draw the graphs.

Related to Solving Velocity-Time Graph Homework: Egg Dropped/Thrown from Bridge

1. How do I determine the velocity of an egg dropped from a bridge?

To determine the velocity of an egg dropped from a bridge, you will need to use the equation v = gt, where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time. First, measure the time it takes for the egg to fall from the bridge to the ground. Then, plug in the value for time into the equation and solve for velocity.

2. Can the velocity of an egg thrown from a bridge be determined using the same equation as an egg dropped from a bridge?

Yes, the same equation v = gt can be used to determine the velocity of an egg thrown from a bridge. However, in this case, you will need to measure the initial velocity of the egg when it is thrown, as this will be the starting point for the calculation.

3. What other factors should be considered when solving velocity-time graph homework for an egg dropped/thrown from a bridge?

When solving for the velocity of an egg dropped or thrown from a bridge, it is important to consider air resistance, the height of the bridge, and the mass of the egg. These factors can affect the velocity of the egg and should be taken into account when analyzing the results.

4. How does the velocity-time graph for an egg dropped/thrown from a bridge look like?

The velocity-time graph for an egg dropped/thrown from a bridge will have a similar shape to that of a free-fall object. It will start at an initial velocity of zero, increase as the egg falls or is thrown, and then decrease as it reaches its maximum velocity and falls back to the ground.

5. Can we use the velocity-time graph to determine the height of the bridge from which the egg was dropped/thrown?

Yes, the velocity-time graph can be used to determine the height of the bridge. By analyzing the graph and using the equation for displacement, s = ut + 1/2at^2, where s is the displacement, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time, the height of the bridge can be calculated.