Calculate Max Velocity of Mass Vibrating: 0.3kg, 200Nm-1, 10mm

In summary, the mass is displaced by 10mm from its equilibrium position and released. The maximum velocity of the mass is 0.26ms-1.
brenfox

Homework Statement

A mass of 0.3kg is suspended from a spring of stiffness 200Nm-1. If the mass is displaced by 10mm from its equalibrium position and released, for the resulting vibration calculate: The maximum velocity of the mass during the vibration.

Homework Equations

v = Aωcos(wt+∅)

The Attempt at a Solution

Now ω = 25.82cos.

so v = A 25.82cos (25.82t+∅)
So now i have to find A (amplitude) and t (displacement)
Is displacement the same as the amplitude?
Not sure on how to find the amplitude? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
brenfox said:
Is displacement the same as the amplitude?
Not sure on how to find the amplitude?
Amplitude is nothing but the maximum displacement of the particle.
Since the mass is pulled up to 10 mm from the actual or mean position it will be the amplitude (well, while in motion the mass cannot go any further right?).
And t is not the displacement its the time. If you might recall the displacement of the mass is given by another equation. But its OK, we need the velocity here.
Remember that the velocity is maximum at the mean position, and solve...
Regards

Likes 1 person
so the amplitude is 10mm. v = 10x25.82cos (25.82 x t x 0) because starting angle is 0? Not sure how to find time? is time 0??

Hint: v will be max when cos(wt+∅) is max. (So what is the maximum value of the cosine function?)

Likes 1 person
max cos is 25.82

so 0.010x25.82cos

= 0.26cos

since vmax at t = 0

then Vmax=0.26cos(25.82x0) = 0.26ms-1?

What i don't understand is that from the velocity/amplitude graphs, velocity is at its peak when the amplitude is 0 so why have i multiplied the amplitude (displacement?) by 0.010?

brenfox said:
max cos is 25.82

That isn't the max value of cos.

brenfox said:
so 0.010x25.82cos

= 0.26cos

since vmax at t = 0

then Vmax=0.26cos(25.82x0) = 0.26ms-1?

What i don't understand is that from the velocity/amplitude graphs, velocity is at its peak when the amplitude is 0 so why have i multiplied the amplitude (displacement?) by 0.010?

Velocity is not maximum when its amplitude is zero. You were told that the amplitude is A = 0.01 m.

Velocity is maximum when the displacement is zero. This is because at the equilibrium position where x=0 all the PE of the motion has been converted into KE.

The equation is v= Aωcos(ωt+∅)
So ω= 25.82rads-1.
t=0 because Thats when Vmax occurs.
∅= 0 Because that is the starting angle.
So from this (ωt+∅) = 25.82

Vmax=Aωcos(ωt+∅)
so
Vmax=0.01x25.82cos(ωt+∅)
so Vmax=0.26cos(25.82t)
so max cos=0.26(25.82t)

since 25.82xt = 0

Leaves me to think the maxV= 0.26ms-1
Apologies if i am missing the obvious with this question. I am on an open university course and I seem to be struggling with this particular topic.

brenfox said:
The equation is v= Aωcos(ωt+∅)
So ω= 25.82rads-1.
t=0 because Thats when Vmax occurs.
∅= 0 Because that is the starting angle.
So from this (ωt+∅) = 25.82
(ωt+∅) becomes zero not 25.82 ...
But you have taken (ωt+∅)=25.82t=0 in the coming equation, I think you substituted t=0 later, that's OK...
And the answer comes out to be right..
Just don't confuse with the equations, first retrieve all data and then substitute that's all... :smile:
Regards

Likes 1 person

1. What is the formula for calculating max velocity of a mass vibrating?

The formula for calculating max velocity of a mass vibrating is v = √(2F/k), where v is the velocity, F is the force applied to the mass, and k is the spring constant.

2. How do you determine the values for mass, spring constant, and force in the equation?

The mass, spring constant, and force can be determined by measuring the physical properties of the system. The mass can be measured using a scale, the spring constant can be calculated by dividing the force applied by the displacement of the spring, and the force can be measured using a force gauge.

3. What are the units for mass, spring constant, and force in the equation?

The units for mass are kilograms (kg), the units for spring constant are newtons per meter (Nm-1), and the units for force are newtons (N). It is important to use consistent units in the equation to ensure accurate results.

4. Can this equation be used for any mass and spring system?

Yes, this equation can be used for any mass and spring system as long as the units for mass, spring constant, and force are consistent. However, it is important to note that this equation assumes ideal conditions and may not accurately represent real-world systems.

5. How does the displacement of the spring affect the max velocity of the mass?

The displacement of the spring does not directly affect the max velocity of the mass. However, the displacement is used to calculate the spring constant, which is a crucial factor in determining the max velocity. A larger displacement will result in a lower spring constant, resulting in a higher max velocity, and vice versa.