Interpreting Velocity vs Time Graphs

In summary, the conversation revolved around a person struggling to understand velocity vs time graphs and how to find average speed and displacement at a certain time using the graph. They also shared a PDF of the graph and someone suggested checking out Khan Academy for help. The conversation ended with the person expressing gratitude for the help.
nsn7
Hello guys,

I am having a hard time understanding velocity vs time graphs. In one of my homework problems I was given a velocity vs time graph and asked to find the average speed in a time interval of 9 seconds. I am unsure how to go about this.

Also, how would I find displacement at a certain time given a velocity vs time graph?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have uploaded the graph as well so that you guys can know what I'm talking about.

Attachments

• Velocity vs time graph.docx
    292 KB · Views: 219
  • Velocity vs time graph.pdf
    145.5 KB · Views: 365
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
nsn7 said:
Hello guys,

I am having a hard time understanding velocity vs time graphs. In one of my homework problems I was given a velocity vs time graph and asked to find the average speed in a time interval of 9 seconds. I am unsure how to go about this.

Also, how would I find displacement at a certain time given a velocity vs time graph?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have uploaded the graph as well so that you guys can know what I'm talking about.

Hello. Welcome to PF.

Could you please upload that in a pdf or perhaps an image (jpeg or png or w/e)? I don't have word and I won't be able to see the graph. Also, it's good practice to upload pdf's or images. :P

Hello Crake,

Sorry about that. I just uploaded it in PDF format.

Crake said:
Hello. Welcome to PF.

Could you please upload that in a pdf or perhaps an image (jpeg or png or w/e)? I don't have word and I won't be able to see the graph. Also, it's good practice to upload pdf's or images. :P

Hello Crake,

Sorry about that. I just uploaded it in PDF format.

Let me know if this helps.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link to Khan Academy, but oh well.

Crake said:
Let me know if this helps.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link to Khan Academy, but oh well.

Yeah, that helped! Thanks!

nsn7 said:
Yeah, that helped! Thanks!

You're most welcome. Let me know if you need anything else.

What is a velocity vs time graph?

A velocity vs time graph is a visual representation of an object's velocity over time. It shows how an object's velocity changes over a specific period of time, with velocity on the y-axis and time on the x-axis.

How do you interpret a velocity vs time graph?

The slope of a velocity vs time graph represents the object's acceleration. A positive slope indicates the object is accelerating in the positive direction, while a negative slope indicates the object is accelerating in the negative direction. A flat line indicates a constant velocity.

What does the area under a velocity vs time graph represent?

The area under a velocity vs time graph represents the displacement of an object. A positive area represents a positive displacement, while a negative area represents a negative displacement. The units for area are meters or kilometers, depending on the units used for velocity and time.

How can you determine an object's speed from a velocity vs time graph?

The speed of an object can be determined by finding the slope of a tangent line at a specific point on the graph. The steeper the slope, the faster the object is moving. Alternatively, the average speed can be calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken.

How can you use a velocity vs time graph to predict an object's future motion?

By analyzing the shape and slope of the graph, you can predict an object's future motion. A constant slope indicates a constant acceleration, while a changing slope indicates a changing acceleration. Additionally, the distance traveled can be estimated by finding the area under the graph for a specific time interval.