Understanding Gauss's Law and Electric Field Distributions

• Thread starter PhysicsNewb
  • Start date
In summary, In answer 2, adding a point charge at the origin increases the field strength at point P, while adding a point charge at point (2R, 0) decreases the field strength at point P. In answer 3, adding a uniformly charged nonconducting sphere with charge -Q and radius 1/2R has the same effect as adding a point charge at the origin.
PhysicsNewb
Hi, I had three problems to do that are multiple choice, here they are and my answer with them. Please tell me if some are wrong.

1. Spherical conductor of radius R carries char +Q, which statement(s) are correct?

I. Electric field outside the surface of the conductor is the same as the field outside a uniformly charged nonconducting sphere of same radius and charge

II. Electric field inside the surface of the conductor is the same as the field inside a uniformly charged nonconducting sphere of same radius and charge

III. Nonspherical Gaussian surface drawn within the conductor will have a ney electric flux through it

I said that only statement I. was correct.

2. Gauss's law could easily be used to solve for the electric field outside all of the following charge distributions except

A.) charged nonconducting sphere
B.) long straight line of charge
C.) long charged conducting cylinder
D.) charged nonconducting cube
E.) charged nonconducting plane

I chose B. was correct.

3. Uniformly charged nonconducting sphere of radius R, charge +Q, is centered at the origin of a cartesian plane. Field strength at Point P with coordinates (R,0) just outside the surface will double if:

I. Add a point charge +Q at the origin
II. Add a point charge -Q at point (2R, 0)
III. Add a uniformly charged nonconducting sphere with charge -Q and radius 1/2R with its center at the point (2R, O)

I chose I. only as the answer.

Are these right? If not, please help..

Physics news on Phys.org
PhysicsNewb said:
1. Spherical conductor of radius R carries char +Q, which statement(s) are correct?

I. Electric field outside the surface of the conductor is the same as the field outside a uniformly charged nonconducting sphere of same radius and charge

II. Electric field inside the surface of the conductor is the same as the field inside a uniformly charged nonconducting sphere of same radius and charge

III. Nonspherical Gaussian surface drawn within the conductor will have a ney electric flux through it

I said that only statement I. was correct.
Right.

2. Gauss's law could easily be used to solve for the electric field outside all of the following charge distributions except

A.) charged nonconducting sphere
B.) long straight line of charge
C.) long charged conducting cylinder
D.) charged nonconducting cube
E.) charged nonconducting plane

I chose B. was correct.
Incorrect. Hint: Which charge distribution lacks a simple symmetry?

3. Uniformly charged nonconducting sphere of radius R, charge +Q, is centered at the origin of a cartesian plane. Field strength at Point P with coordinates (R,0) just outside the surface will double if:

I. Add a point charge +Q at the origin
II. Add a point charge -Q at point (2R, 0)
III. Add a uniformly charged nonconducting sphere with charge -Q and radius 1/2R with its center at the point (2R, O)

I chose I. only as the answer.
Incorrect. Add the contributions from each charge to find the new field at point P.

I'm going to revise my answers to make number 2. answer D and number 3 answer's I. and II. I think i worked it right this time.

Last edited:
PhysicsNewb said:
I'm going to revise my answers to make number 2. answer D and number 3 answer's I. and II.
For question 3, what's the difference between answers II and III (as far as the field at point P is concerned)?

1. What is the purpose of verifying HW problems?

The purpose of verifying HW problems is to ensure that the solutions are correct and free from errors. It allows for a thorough understanding of the concepts being tested and helps to identify any mistakes or misconceptions. Verification also provides an opportunity for further practice and reinforcement of the material.

2. How should one approach verifying HW problems?

The most effective way to verify HW problems is to carefully read and follow the instructions provided in the assignment. It is also important to double-check all calculations and reasoning used to arrive at the solution. Seeking help from a teacher, tutor, or peer can also provide valuable feedback and aid in the verification process.

3. What should be done if a mistake is found during verification?

If a mistake is found during verification, it is important to carefully review the problem and identify where the error occurred. It can be helpful to rework the problem or seek assistance from a teacher or peer to understand the error and correct it. It is also important to make a note of the mistake to avoid repeating it in the future.

4. Is it necessary to verify all HW problems?

While it is not necessary to verify all HW problems, it is highly recommended to do so. Verifying all HW problems ensures a thorough understanding of the material and helps to identify any mistakes that may have been made. It also allows for practice and reinforcement of the concepts being tested.

5. Can verification help improve grades?

Yes, verification can help improve grades. By carefully verifying HW problems, one can identify and correct any mistakes, leading to a better understanding of the material and potentially higher grades on exams and assignments. Additionally, verification provides an opportunity for further practice, which can also contribute to improved grades.