Verify Stoke's Theorem for Paraboloid-Z=9-x^2-y^2 above Plane-Z=5

• Thread starter mohammadiqbal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary: After simplifying and evaluating the integral, we get a final answer of 4π.b) To evaluate the flux integral, we will use the formula SS sub s (curl F) * N dS. In this case, S is the surface bounded by the boundary curve C, which is the paraboloid z = 9 - x^2 - y^2 above the plane z = 5. The upward normal vector N is given by (0,0,1). We can rewrite F as (x-yz)i + xzj = xi + (x-xz^2)j. We can also calculate the curl of F as (0,0,x+z
mohammadiqbal
Hello everybody,
I am stuck on my homework. This question is giving me a headache, I've literally been staring at it for over 30 minutes. Perhaps someone here may be able to answer it (I hope), any help will be greatly appreciated:

Homework Statement

Legend:
S= integral
SS= double integral
sub= boundary/limit a
#^n= number raised to exponent n
*= multiply

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let S be the portion of the paraboloid: z = 9 - x^2 - y^2 which lies above the plane: z= 5, with normal vector N pointing upward (i.e. in the direction of increasing z), and let F be the vector field given by: F(x,y,z)= (x-yz)i + xzj. Verify Stoke's Theorem by evaluation each of the following:a) The line integral: S sub c (F dr), where C is the boundary of s, oriented counter-clockwise relative to N.b) The flux integral: SS sub s (curl F) * N dS

Homework Equations

Stoke's Theorem
S sub c (F * dr) = S sub s S (curl F) * N ds

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea on how to start, I am soo lost :(

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

I can definitely understand how this question can be confusing and overwhelming. Let's break it down step by step.

First, let's look at the given information. We have a paraboloid with an equation of z = 9 - x^2 - y^2. This means that the paraboloid is opening downwards and has a vertex at (0,0,9). The plane z = 5 intersects with the paraboloid, creating a circle with a radius of 2.

Next, we have a vector field given by F(x,y,z) = (x-yz)i + xzj. This means that the vector field has a component in the x direction and a component in the y direction, which are both dependent on the values of y and z. We will use this vector field to calculate the line integral and flux integral.

Now, let's look at the question itself. It is asking us to verify Stoke's Theorem by evaluating the line integral and flux integral. Stoke's Theorem states that the line integral along a closed curve is equal to the flux integral over the surface bounded by that curve. In this case, the curve is the boundary of the paraboloid, which is a circle with a radius of 2.

a) To evaluate the line integral, we will use the formula S sub c (F * dr), where C is the boundary of S. In this case, C is the circle with a radius of 2. Since the curve is oriented counter-clockwise relative to the upward normal vector, we will use a positive sign for the line integral. We can rewrite F as (x-yz)i + xzj = xi + (x-xz^2)j. Then, dr = dx + dy, since we are moving along the curve in the x and y directions. Plugging these values into the line integral formula, we get S sub c (F * dr) = S sub c (x dx + (x-xz^2) dy). We can now integrate this using the parametric equation of the circle, which is x = 2 cos(t) and y = 2 sin(t), where t ranges from 0 to 2π. This gives us S sub c (F * dr) = S sub 0 2π (2cos(t) (-2sin(t) dt) + (2cos(t) - 2cos(t)sin^

What is Stoke's theorem?

Stoke's theorem is a mathematical principle that relates the integral of a vector field over a surface to the line integral of the same vector field along the boundary of the surface. It is named after the mathematician Sir George Gabriel Stokes.

What does Stoke's theorem state?

Stoke's theorem states that the surface integral of a vector field over a closed surface is equal to the line integral of the same vector field along the closed boundary curve of the surface.

What is the significance of Stoke's theorem?

Stoke's theorem is important in the field of vector calculus as it allows us to calculate surface integrals using line integrals, which are often easier to evaluate. It also has many applications in physics and engineering, particularly in fluid mechanics and electromagnetism.

How is Stoke's theorem used?

Stoke's theorem is used to evaluate surface integrals in three-dimensional space. It allows us to convert a difficult surface integral into an easier line integral by taking the gradient of the vector field, which can then be integrated along the boundary curve of the surface.

What are the conditions for applying Stoke's theorem?

In order to apply Stoke's theorem, the surface must be closed, meaning it has a well-defined boundary curve. The vector field must also be continuous and differentiable over the surface. Additionally, the orientation of the surface and boundary curve must be consistent.