Verifying an Electron's Final Speed After Releasing from Rest

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the final speed of an electron released between two stationary positive point charges. The equation used is Ek(f)+U(f) = Ek(i)+U(i) and the final speed is found to be 7.53 x 10^6 m/s. The person asking for confirmation received the correct answer.
rowkem

Homework Statement

Two stationary positive point charges, charge 1 of magnitude 3.45 nC and charge 2 of magnitude 1.85 nC, are separated by a distance of 50.0 cm. An electron is released from rest at the point midway between the two charges, and it moves along the line connecting the two charges.

What is the speed v(final) of the electron when it is 10.0 cm from charge 1?

Homework Equations

Ek= (mv^2)/2
U= (k(q1q2))/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the following equation:

Ek(f)+U(f) = Ek(i)+U(i)

(mv(f)^2)/2 + (k(q1q2))/r = (mv(i)^2)/2 + (k(q1q2))/r

(9.1x10^-31)(vf)^2)/2 + (((9x10^9)(3.45nC)(-1.6x10^-19))/0.10m) + (9x10^9)(1.85nC)(-1.6x10^-19))/0.40m) = (((9x10^9)(3.45nC)(-1.6x10^-19))/0.25m) + (9x10^9)(1.85nC)(-1.6x10^-19))/0.25m)

v(f) = 7.53 x 10^6 m/s

---------------------------------------------

So that's my answer. I lose marks if I submit an incorrect answer. That said, I just want to double check my answer before submitting it. A simple yes or no will suffice. Thanks in advance.

---------------------------------------------

That seems unreasonably high. Maybe I'm just ignorant but, guess we'll see.

Physics news on Phys.org

Took a stab at it. Was correct. Thanks everyone.

I would suggest double-checking your calculations and units to ensure accuracy. It is always important to double-check your work and make sure that your answer is reasonable and in line with expected values. In this case, the speed of an electron is typically in the range of 10^6 m/s, so a speed of 7.53 x 10^6 m/s does seem quite high and may warrant further investigation. Additionally, make sure to include units in your final answer to ensure clarity and accuracy.

1. What is the process for verifying an electron's final speed after releasing from rest?

The process involves using the equations of motion and experimental data to calculate the final speed of the electron.

2. What experimental data is needed for verifying an electron's final speed?

The experimental data needed includes the initial position and time, as well as the final position and time of the electron.

3. How do you calculate the final speed of an electron using the equations of motion?

The final speed can be calculated using the equation vf = vi + at, where vf is the final speed, vi is the initial speed (which is zero in this case), a is the acceleration (which is the same as the electric field in this scenario), and t is the time.

4. How does the electric field affect the final speed of the electron?

The electric field accelerates the electron, increasing its speed over time. The stronger the electric field, the faster the electron will accelerate and the higher its final speed will be.

5. Are there any potential sources of error when verifying an electron's final speed?

Yes, there are several potential sources of error, such as measurement errors in the experimental data, external factors that may affect the motion of the electron, and limitations of the equations used (such as neglecting other forces acting on the electron).